UI Software Engineer - SRE Observability
Uber has become an integral part of people's lives and it is critical that the systems that power the platform are always available to everybody in the world. Uber continues to expand into new cities and its growth and popularity present interesting challenges for managing the change in scale with the pace of innovation. We are looking for engineers that are able to apply the principles and discipline of robust distributed systems to solve operational challenges, while enhancing developer productivity and maintaining operational simplicity.
Our systems are active across multiple physical data centers in the US, China and multiple cloud providers. We tackle the many challenges that come with Uber's massive scale.
You will be part of a team of engineers with a healthy mix of systems and software engineering skills, executing in a fast paced environment. If you love working on software products that touch the physical world and want some serious experience under exponential growth conditions, you should definitely join our awesome SRE team.
As a member of Observability SRE, you'll be responsible to building and maintaining our on-call tooling and infrastructure monitoring systems. Infrastructure automation, inventory management, change management, ensuring 99.99% uptime, high availability, capacity and scalability - this what we do every day at large scale.
- Automation. SREs are obsessed with automation tooling
- System Architecture, including upstream and downstream dependencies
- Resiliency strategy, such as Load and Failure testing.
- Capacity Planning, Turn-ups and Turn-downs.
- Performance, Efficiency & Scaling, including Availability and Latency
- Instrumentation, Monitoring, Alerting & Reporting on key metrics and SLAs
- Incident Response (improving the on-call experience, tools, and procedures) and Postmortem followup to honor the SLA
- Operational Readiness, such as Runbooks and other Documentation, Escalation Paths, and Incident Response Training exercises.
What you'll need
- Fast learners. We're looking for software engineers who thrive on learning new technologies and don't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the needs of our massive growth and rapidly evolving business environment.
- Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of the frontend layer, you can dip down into the stack when needed.
- Deep architecture skills. You know how to create performant client-side experiences with code bases that scale for a large number of developers. You stay up-to-date with the latest trends.
- Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship. You'd never call code "released" until you're satisfied it's correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, thorough documentation, and proper test coverage.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- Employees are given Uber rides every month.
- Ground floor opportunity with the team; shape the strategic direction of the company.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- Monthly gym reimbursement.
We're bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top