We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
At Uber, we pride ourselves on the amazing team we've built. Delivering a first class, on-demand experience for access to transportation and other services takes a critical eye for quality, and we want a Paralegal who has the same passion for excellence. This is a unique opportunity to get in on the ground floor of the growing Trademark Team, creating, maintaining, and protecting Uber's expansive portfolio of domestic and international trademarks. Be a part of evolving the way the world moves.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What you'll do
- Work with outside counsel to create, maintain, and protect Uber's worldwide trademark portfolio
- Maintain and monitor our internal docket and schedule reminders for deadlines and follow ups
- Develop processes and procedures to organize and manage the continually growing number of trademark matters.
- Assist with policing efforts to prevent and stop third party infringements of Uber's trademarks, including reviewing watch notices, submitting online take-down requests, and instructing outside counsel and vendors
- Assist in preparing UDRP submissions
- Manage the day-to-day processes for our trademark portfolio management system and act as the internal and external point-of-contact regarding the system
- Provide administrative support to the Trademark Team, including organization and management of the Team's internal docketing and filings systems
- Perform trademark clearance searches, including preliminary and comprehensive searches
- Assist with domestic and foreign (including Madrid filings) trademark prosecution, including preparing and filing applications, supporting documents, and maintenance documents, and instructing outside counsel
- Assist with office actions, oppositions, and cancellation actions, including research and drafting
What you'll need
- Bachelor's degree or paralegal certificate
- A minimum of 3 years of experience as a trademark paralegal with a sophisticated law firm or in-house trademark team practice
- Enthusiasm about Uber!
- General trademark experience, including clearance, prosecution, and enforcement experience
- Extensive knowledge of Trademark Office and Trademark Trial & Appeal Board procedures and online forms
- The judgment and experience to spot issues and escalate to others on the legal team
- Technical savvy, i.e., proficiency with common office/business and trademark specific software (e.g., Saegis, Corsearch, TESS) and the ability to quickly learn and use unfamiliar software
- To be adept at creating and executing searches across vast repositories of data; a strong understanding of how database searches work and the agility to apply that understanding to unfamiliar systems and platforms
- Strong written/verbal communication skills; outstanding grammar, proofreading, English composition, spelling, and editing skills
- Excellent business judgment and interpersonal skills, with an eagerness and willingness to help others
- To be laser-focused on details, highly motivated, efficient, and organized; ability to juggle multiple projects at a time in a fast-paced environment, both collaborating as a team and working independently to get the job done; self-reliance and an ability to prioritize workload
- To be a good fit in our fun, kind, and hard-working group
Back to top