TechOps - Network Engineer
Urban transportation has looked the same for a long time—a really long time. We think it’s time for change. At Uber, we’re putting first-class, on-demand transportation at everyone’s fingertips. Are you ready to help us change the world?
This role is part of a strategic team responsible for designing, building and managing Uber’s growing production data centers, backbone and peering network.
HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING:
- Design, engineer, build and support all facets of our production data center networks and points of presence around the world.
- Embrace cross-team collaboration, debate, and presentation. You’ll work closely with people across Engineering and Business orgs to develop and implement network-based solutions that support our rapid growth.
- Help design and deploy our automated provisioning, problem remediation, and telemetry tools.
- Apply your intellectual curiosity and research new technologies, figure out their practical applications within our framework and then bring it to life in production networks. As part of a very small team, you will have an outsized impact on the future of Uber and our technical infrastructure.
HERE ARE THE KINDS OF SKILLS WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- A minimum of 5 years experience in IP networking. Previous stints at large enterprise or service-provider networks where you were responsible for design and architecture are strongly preferred.
- Expertise in TCP, IPv4/6, QoS/CoS, and dynamic routing protocols such as BGP and IS-IS.
- Solid Junos and IOS or EOS skills.
- Knowledge of Linux and experience troubleshooting the life of a packet from client to server and back (and all possible intermediate nodes along the way).
- Experience with many network hardware platforms and the implications and tradeoffs of different types.
- A relentless desire to build each network better than the last. Treat networking, operational efficiency, and automation as sciences with room for breakthrough.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top