Technical Support Lead
Are you a hardware junkie? Do you like gadgets and new technology? Do you like to tinker and fix things? Do you like to solve problems & make customer’s lives better? Do you like to build and manage teams? Do you like to travel? If you answered “yes” to these questions, this is your dream job!
As an Uber Advanced Technologies team member, you'll have a direct impact on the innovation of cutting edge technologies. The work you will do will be hugely impactful. The experience you will gain will be unique and unmatched. We are ambitious, engaged and excited about disrupting the transportation industry across the world.
Here are the kinds of skills we're looking for:
- Fast learner. We’re looking for team members who thrive on applying their knowledge, learning new technologies and don’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the rapid pace of a rapidly evolving research, development, and testing environment.
- Fearlessness. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You strive on proving that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
- Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of core engineering fields, you understand how all the pieces fit together into integrated systems, and how they impact performance.
- Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code or design "released" until you’re confident it’s correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, strong documentation, and proper test coverage.
- A team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team — that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
This is a unique position at Uber to help us field a new piece of hardware. We are looking for a Technical Support Lead who will join us and create a worldwide support organization that will keep this equipment operating.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Define a global support model, establish SLAs, and methodology to measure the effectiveness of your program that leverages Uber’s customer support infrastructure where needed
- Build a field support organization that meets the program’s SLAs while leveraging Uber’s resources in a scrappy, scalable fashion
- Work closely with Supply Chain Management to ensure an adequate flow of replacement hardware and spare parts supply the repair demand from the field
- Provide a connection between engineering and end users so that feedback, innovation, and bugs are understood and addressed
- Own the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for technical support, and be able to train anyone, anywhere how to execute against it
- Design and implement support escalation paths
- Travel, both domestic and international, is required for this role
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW/HAVE
- 3-5+ years of hardware technical support, preferably experience leading a tech support team/program
- Demonstrable track record in building and maintaining teams
- Comfort and confidence working with electrical, mechanical, and automotive systems, and an understanding of how software interacts with hardware.
- Undergraduate in engineering preferred, master’s or better in engineering is a plus
- Strong abilities in:
- Project management
- Customer relations
- Data Analytics
- Problem solving
- Experience in data mining and organizing data to surface issues
- Budgeting acumen - you will create your annual budget and hold your organization accountable for it during the year
- Must be an excellent communicator, both written and spoken - multilingual skills are a definite plus
- Strong + if you are familiar with Linux (Ubuntu), Android OS, and GNSS
- Employees are given Uber trips every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the result of the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment
- Monthly gym reimbursement
- 401(k) plan, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
Back to top