Technical Program Manager-Platform Integration
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
The Uber Advanced Technologies Group, Technical Program Management (TPM) Team plays a critical role in structuring and driving the work to deliver our autonomous Car and Truck products and integrate them into the Uber network.
Key areas of responsibility for this role are:
- Define the roadmap and requirements for future sensing hardware requirements.
- Manage execution of cross team efforts to integrate new sensing modalities.
- Drive prioritization for sensing capabilities according to product needs.
- Deliver technical requirements for prototype vehicles for SW development.
- Support the definition of requirements for scaling the number of cars and trucks in a production NVO fleet (both now and future vehicle platforms)
Possible secondary areas of responsibility:
- Keep a prioritized list of failure modes attributed to Perception from road miles and scenario testing, and use this to drive development efforts.
- Partner with Perception SW leads to accelerate our SW development cycle
- Partner with ML Product Manager(s) to ensure perception models use the to-be created standardized ML development framework.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll Do:
- Project manage complex and large scale cross-team, cross-functional initiatives. Interface with engineering managers and engineers to estimate work efforts, define milestones and manage resources. Track progress, resolve dependencies, evaluate risks and communicate status to upper management and project stakeholders. Engage and energize the project teams to achieve aggressive goals.
- Proactively remove obstacles to drive momentum and progress. Identify communication gaps, manage issue escalations and provide support to teams balancing competing priorities. Drive results proactively.
- Understand technical implementation at the architecture level and propose technical alternatives when necessary. Ask questions that clarify priorities and push the team to be highly effective. Develop broad domain and technical knowledge.
- Help manage the cross-functional strategic planning and business planning process, leading conversations with key stakeholders to develop concepts for strategic initiatives, and developing those into detailed program / project plans (including roadmaps, funding planning, resource planning and hiring goals).
What You'll Need:
- Minimum of 5 years experience as a program / project manager, product manager, or engineering manager in a software, hardware, robotics, SaaS, or systems development environment.
- Solid technical aptitude and an ability to understand technical designs, challenges and risks. Engineers enjoy working closely with you. Ideally a background in software engineering, hardware engineering, robotics and/or systems administrator / devops.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and exceptional emotional intelligence. Ability to influence and motivate people across a broad variety of job functions through your relationships.
Back to top