Technical Program Manager-Autonomy Software Engineering
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
The Uber Advanced Technologies Group, Technical Program Management (TPM) Team plays a critical role in structuring and driving the work to deliver our autonomous Car and Truck products and integrate them into the Uber network.
There are multiple openings in the TPM team, including:
- Infrastructure - define and structure work to build the future of our rapidly growing and evolving compute and storage infrastructure that encompasses data pipelines, machine learning, software networking and orchestration.
- Developer Experience - drive programs that continuously improve our developer build, test, integration and Autonomous Vehicle simulation environments across our locations in San Francisco, Pittsburgh and Toronto.
- Autonomy Software Engineering - Partner with our engineering directors to structure & drive work across perception, prediction, planning and platform teams while instituting robust workflows to continuously measure and improve our vehicle performance.
- Machine Learning - collaborate closely with a team of highly skilled researchers and engineers, tackling an array of challenges related to applying machine learning to self-driving vehicles. You will work on a variety of software engineering tasks related to development and deployment of algorithms for detection & perception, prediction, motion planning.
- Hardware Engineering - work across mechanical, electrical, design & external engineering teams to build and integrate next generation sensors for autonomous vehicles.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll Do:
- Project manage complex and large scale cross-team, cross-functional initiatives. Interface with engineering managers and engineers to estimate work efforts, define milestones and manage resources. Track progress, resolve dependencies, evaluate risks and communicate status to upper management and project stakeholders. Engage and energize the project teams to achieve aggressive goals.
- Proactively remove obstacles to drive momentum and progress. Identify communication gaps, manage issue escalations and provide support to teams balancing competing priorities. Drive results proactively.
- Understand technical implementation at the architecture level and propose technical alternatives when necessary. Ask questions that clarify priorities and push the team to be highly effective. Develop broad domain and technical knowledge.
- Help manage the cross-functional strategic planning and business planning process, leading conversations with key stakeholders to develop concepts for strategic initiatives, and developing those into detailed program / project plans (including roadmaps, funding planning, resource planning and hiring goals).
What You'll Need:
- Minimum of 5 years experience as a program / project manager or engineering manager in a software, hardware, robotics, SaaS, or systems development environment.
- Solid technical aptitude and an ability to understand technical designs, challenges and risks. Engineers enjoy working closely with you. Ideally a background in software engineering, hardware engineering, robotics and/or systems administration / devops.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and exceptional emotional intelligence. Ability to influence and motivate people across a broad variety of job functions through your relationships.
About the Team
TPMs move fluidly from the big picture to details so that the team can deliver complex and strategic cross-functional projects, often with tight deadlines. You are a bridge and a connector for the company. You are intuitive, focused, driven, organized, insightful and productive. You break through communication issues and effectively develop relationships with stakeholders at all levels of the organization. You build trust across the organization. You are not afraid to be direct, but you strive to act with empathy and understanding. You are passionate about decisions being made with data and integrity.
Back to top