Technical Program Manager
As a Technical Program Manager on Maps team, you will work on a range of complex (and fun!) problems and will be responsible for delivering the best-in-class map related products.
You will be responsible for the technical integration of cross functional-team efforts, identifying gaps, diving into the technical details, pointing out potential problems and resolving blockers (including hands-on), while working and collaborating with the different stakeholders (Product Management, Engineering and Operations).
Your performance will be measured by your ability to identify problems that need to be solved, and how you own and track the process from start to finish. We are looking for people who love complex problems with real world impact. We expect the Technical Program Manager to be data oriented – i.e. be able to work closely with Engineering team to set up experiments to measure things and drive decisions.
Sound like you? Read on…
The Uber Technical Program Management team is passionate about executing company-wide initiatives and continuously improving process to increase the effectiveness of our world-class Engineering organization.
Senior TPMs move fluidly from the big picture to the smallest detail so that the team can deliver complex and strategic cross-functional projects, often with tight deadlines. No task is beneath you. You are expected to be the bridge and a connector for the company while being intuitive, focused, driven, organized, insightful and productive. You should overcome communication challenges and effectively develop relationships with stakeholders at all levels in the organization while building trust across the org. Your day to day tasks involves:
- Project manage complex cross-team initiatives within Engineering. Interface with engineering managers to estimate work efforts, define milestones and manage resources.
- Track progress, understand dependencies, evaluate risks and communicate status to upper management and project stakeholders.
- Engage and energize the project teams to achieve aggressive goals.
- Proactively remove obstacles to drive momentum and progress. Manage issue escalations and provide support to teams balancing competing priorities.
- Understand technical implementation and propose technical alternatives. Ask questions that clarify priorities and push the team to be highly effective. Develop broad domain and technical knowledge.
- Help manage the cross-functional strategic planning and business planning process, leading conversations with key stakeholders to develop concepts for strategic initiatives, and developing those into detailed program/project plans (including roadmaps, funding planning, resource planning and hiring goals).
- Improve product development and delivery. Facilitate knowledge management and communication so each project delivers better than the last.
- Monitor, evaluate, and continuously improve the organization by being a trusted advisor, facilitator and creative problem solver. Implement continuous improvements to the engineering organization and the program management process. Share program/project process frameworks, tools, and best practices that can be adopted throughout the organization
Here are the kinds of skills we’re looking for
- Minimum of 5 years experience as a program / project manager in a software, SaaS, or systems development environment.
- Technical competency – strong technical aptitude and an ability to understand technical designs, challenges and risks. Engineers enjoy working closely with you.
- Project management – ideally familiar with both Agile and Waterfall methodologies and able to apply them where best suited.
- Communication – excellent written and verbal communication skills and exceptional emotional intelligence. Ability to influence and motivate people across a broad variety of job functions through your relationships.
- Highly organized – excellent organizational skills to juggle many tasks without losing sight of the highest priority items.
- Analytical – ability to understand complex concepts and make reasoned decisions with sometimes imperfect data.
- Results oriented – detail oriented. Driven. Take initiative without being asked. Creative.
Bonus points if you have
- Worked at a high paced, fast growing, scrappy tech startup.
- Technical program management experience at a mature company with a strong TPM team.
- Engineering experience, including testing and deploying code.
- Deep experience with any of the following:
- Rapid international growth in markets like China and India
- Logistics and mapping development
- Scaling distributed systems
- International money and payments
- Building modular and customizable mobile architecture
- Devising innovative solutions to improve application stability and monitor application health
- Emerging mobile technologies, including wearables
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
We’re bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen, and do it in style.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top