Technical Program Manager
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
As a Technical Program Manager on the Maps team, you will work on a range of complex (and fun) problems and will be responsible for delivering premier map related products.
You will be responsible for the technical integration of cross functional-team efforts, identifying gaps, diving into the technical details, pointing out potential problems and resolving blockers (including hands-on), while working and collaborating with the different stakeholders (Product Management, Engineering and Operations).
Your performance will be measured by your ability to identify problems that need to be solved, and how you own and track the process from start to finish. We are looking for people who love complex problems with real world impact. We expect the Technical Program Manager to be data oriented - i.e. be able to work closely with Engineering team to set up experiments to measure things and drive decisions.
Sound like you? Read on...
The Uber Technical Program Management team is passionate about executing company-wide initiatives and continuously improving process to increase the effectiveness of our world-class Engineering organization.
Senior TPMs move fluidly from the big picture to the smallest detail so that the team can deliver complex and strategic cross-functional projects, often with tight deadlines. No task is beneath you. You are expected to be the bridge and a connector for the company while being intuitive, attentive, driven, organized, insightful and productive. You should overcome communication challenges and effectively develop relationships with stakeholders at all levels in the organization while building trust across the organization.
Who you are
- You are a bridge and a connector for the company.
- You are intuitive, attentive, driven, organized, insightful and productive.
- You work collaboratively to allow engineering to be better, faster and smarter about software delivery.
- You address communication issues and effectively develop relationships with stakeholders at all levels of the organization.
- You build trust across the organization.
- You are not afraid to be passionate, but you strive to act with empathy and integrity.
What you'll do
- Project manage complex cross-team initiatives within Engineering.
- Interface with engineering managers to estimate work efforts, define milestones and manage resources.
- Track progress, understand dependencies, evaluate risks and communicate status to upper management and project stakeholders.
- Engage and energize the project teams to achieve bold goals.
- Proactively remove obstacles to strengthen momentum and progress.
- Manage issue escalations and provide support to teams balancing challenging priorities.
- Understand technical implementation and propose technical alternatives.
- Ask questions that clarify priorities and push the team to be highly effective.
- Develop broad domain and technical knowledge.
- Help manage the cross-functional strategic planning and business planning process, leading conversations with key stakeholders to develop concepts for strategic initiatives, and developing those into detailed program/project plans (including roadmaps, funding planning, resource planning and hiring goals).
- Improve product development and delivery.
- Teach project management skills within our engineering leadership team.
- Facilitate knowledge management and communication so each project delivers better than the last.
- Monitor, evaluate, and continuously improve the organization by being a trusted advisor, facilitator and creative problem solver.
- Implement continuous improvements to the engineering organization and the program management process.
- Share program/project process frameworks, tools, and best practices that can be adopted throughout the organization.
What you'll need
- Minimum of 5 years experience as a program / project manager in a software, SaaS, or systems development environment.
- Technical skills. Thorough technical aptitude and an ability to understand technical designs, challenges and risks. Engineers enjoy working closely with you.
- Project management. Ideally familiar with both Agile and Waterfall methodologies and able to apply them where best suited.
- Communication. Excellent written and verbal communication skills and exceptional emotional intelligence. Ability to persuade and motivate people across a broad variety of job functions through your relationships.
- Highly organized. Excellent organizational skills to multitask many tasks without losing sight of the highest priority items.
- Analytical. Ability to understand complex concepts and make reasoned decisions with sometimes imperfect data.
- Detail oriented. Results motivated to take initiative without being asked and be a resourceful creative.
- To have worked at a fast and growing company is preferred
- Technical program management experience at a mature company with a strong TPM team is a plus
- Engineering experience, including testing and deploying code is a plus, but not required.
Deep experience with any of the following:
- Rapid international growth in markets like China and India
- Logistics and mapping development
- Scaling distributed systems
- International money and payments
- Building modular and customizable mobile architecture
- Devising innovative solutions to improve application stability and monitor application health
- Emerging mobile technologies, including wearables
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top