Technical Program Manager
At ATG, we are ambitious, engaged and excited about transforming the way the world moves. With locations in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, and Toronto, the Advanced Technologies Group is comprised of Uber's self-driving engineering team dedicated to self-driving technologies, mapping, and vehicle safety. Our teams are passionate about developing long-term technologies that advance Uber's mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere.
Our work doesn't end with transporting people. We are also developing self-driving truck technology to move goods more safely and cost effectively around the world. We are working to make the process of moving people and goods safer and more efficient.
Our Software Technical Program Managers have direct, visible impact at the highest levels within ATG and Uber. As a TPM, you will have the opportunity to partner with and learn from the world's leading engineers in computer vision, machine learning, vehicle controls, embedded systems, sensor development, vehicle design, and robotics.
The work you will facilitate will be tested and deployed on real systems, in real-world conditions.
- Project manage complex cross-team engineering initiatives in hardware or software
- Collaborate with engineering managers to estimate work efforts, define milestones and manage resources.
- Track progress, understand dependencies, evaluate risks and communicate status to upper management and project partners.
- Engage and energize the project teams to achieve bold goals.
- Actively remove obstacles to strengthen momentum and progress.
- Manage issue critical issues and provide support to teams balancing trying priorities.
- Understand technical implementation and propose technical alternatives.
- Ask questions that clarify priorities and push the team to be highly effective.
- Develop broad domain and technical knowledge.
- Help lead the cross-functional strategic planning and business planning process, leading conversations with key partners to develop concepts for strategic initiatives, and developing those into detailed program/project plans (including roadmaps, funding planning, resource planning and hiring goals).
- Improve product development and delivery.
- Teach project management skills within our engineering leadership team.
- Facilitate knowledge management and communication so each project delivers better than the last.
- Monitor, evaluate, and continuously improve the organization by being a trusted advisor, facilitator and creative problem solver.
- Implement continuous improvements to the engineering organization and the program management process.
- Share program/project process frameworks, tools, and best practices that can be adopted throughout the organization.
What you'll need:
- Minimum of 5 years experience as a technical program / project manager
- A degree in computer science, mechanical, or electrical engineering or relevant background/degree
- Technical skills. Thorough technical capability and an ability to understand technical designs, challenges and risks. Technical depth in software, hardware, systems administration, or networking. Engineers enjoy working closely with you.
- Project management. Ideally familiar with both Agile and Waterfall methodologies and able to apply them where best suited. Experience delivering complex engineering projects spanning multiple teams.
- Communication. Excellent written and verbal communication skills and exceptional emotional intelligence. Ability to persuade and motivate people across a broad variety of job functions through your relationships.
- Highly organized. Excellent organizational skills to multitask many tasks without losing sight of the highest priority items.
- Analytical. Ability to understand complex concepts and make reasoned decisions with sometimes imperfect data.
- Detail oriented. Results motivated to take initiative without being asked and be a resourceful creative.
- Prior experience at a fast and growing company is preferred
- Technical program management experience at a mature company with a strong TPM team is a plus
Engineering experience, including robotics, machine learning, or autonomy is preferred, but not required!
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top