Technical Program Manager
The Uber Technical Program Management team is passionate about executing company-wide initiatives and continuously improving process to increase the effectiveness of our world-class Engineering organization.
TPMs move fluidly from the big picture to the smallest detail so that the team can deliver complex and strategic cross-functional projects, often with tight deadlines. No task is beneath you. Eventually you may gravitate to a home on a single team and develop deep knowledge of the technology, product requirements, and scaling challenges. You are a bridge and a connector for the company. You are intuitive, focused, driven, organized, insightful and productive. You work collaboratively to allow engineering to be better, faster and smarter about software delivery. You break through communication issues and effectively develop relationships with stakeholders at all levels of the organization. You build trust across the organization. You are not afraid to be tough, but you strive to act with empathy and integrity.
- Project manage complex cross-team initiatives within Engineering. Interface with engineering managers to estimate work efforts, define milestones and manage resources. Track progress, understand dependencies, evaluate risks and communicate status to upper management and project stakeholders. Engage and energize the project teams to achieve aggressive goals.
- Proactively remove obstacles to drive momentum and progress. Manage issue escalations and provide support to teams balancing competing priorities.
- Understand technical implementation and propose technical alternatives. Ask questions that clarify priorities and push the team to be highly effective. Develop broad domain and technical knowledge.
- Help manage the cross-functional strategic planning and business planning process, leading conversations with key stakeholders to develop concepts for strategic initiatives, and developing those into detailed program/project plans (including roadmaps, funding planning, resource planning and hiring goals).
- Improve product development and delivery. Teach project management skills within our engineering leadership team. Facilitate knowledge management and communication so each project delivers better than the last.
- Monitor, evaluate, and continuously improve the organization by being a trusted advisor, facilitator and creative problem solver. Implement continuous improvements to the engineering organization and the program management process. Share program/project process frameworks, tools, and best practices that can be adopted throughout the organization.
Here are the kinds of skills we’re looking for
- Minimum of 5 years experience as a program / project manager in a software, SaaS, or systems development environment.
- Technical competency. Strong technical aptitude and an ability to understand technical designs, challenges and risks. Engineers enjoy working closely with you.
- Project management. Ideally familiar with both Agile and Waterfall methodologies and able to apply them where best suited.
- Communication. Excellent written and verbal communication skills and exceptional emotional intelligence. Ability to influence and motivate people across a broad variety of job functions through your relationships.
- Highly organized. Excellent organizational skills to juggle many tasks without losing sight of the highest priority items.
- Analytical. Ability to understand complex concepts and make reasoned decisions with sometimes imperfect data.
- Results oriented. Detail oriented. Driven. Take initiative without being asked. Creative.
Bonus points if you have
- Worked at a high paced, fast growing, scrappy tech startup.
- Technical program management experience at a mature company with a strong TPM team.
- Engineering experience, including testing and deploying code.
Deep experience with any of the following
- Rapid international growth in markets like China and India
- Logistics and mapping development
- Scaling distributed systems
- International money and payments
- Building modular and customizable mobile architecture
- Devising innovative solutions to improve application stability and monitor application health
- Emerging mobile technologies, including wearables
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- Employees are showered with Uber credits each month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We’re bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top