Technical Program Manager
The Uber Technical Program Management (TPM) team plays a critical role executing high-impact company-wide initiatives and continuously improving process to increase the effectiveness of our product and engineering organizations.
TPMs move fluidly from the big picture to details so that the team can deliver complex and strategic cross-functional projects, often with tight deadlines. You are a bridge and a connector for the company. You are intuitive, focused, driven, organized, insightful and productive. You break through communication issues and effectively develop relationships with stakeholders at all levels of the organization. You build trust across the organization. You are not afraid to be direct, but you strive to act with empathy and integrity. TPM work involves the following:
- Project manage complex and large scale cross-team, cross-functional initiatives . Interface with engineering managers and engineers to estimate work efforts, define milestones and manage resources. Track progress, resolve dependencies, evaluate risks and communicate status to upper management and project stakeholders. Engage and energize the project teams to achieve aggressive goals.
- Proactively remove obstacles to drive momentum and progress. Identify communication gaps, manage issue escalations and provide support to teams balancing competing priorities. Drive results proactively.
- Understand technical implementation at the architecture level and propose technical alternatives when necessary. Ask questions that clarify priorities and push the team to be highly effective. Develop broad domain and technical knowledge.
- Help manage the cross-functional strategic planning and business planning process, leading conversations with key stakeholders to develop concepts for strategic initiatives, and developing those into detailed program / project plans (including roadmaps, funding planning, resource planning and hiring goals).
- Continuously improve and scale the organization. Implement continuous improvements to the engineering organization and the program management process. Share program/project process frameworks, tools, and best practices that can be adopted throughout the organization. Improve product development and delivery. Mentor project management skills within our engineering leadership team.
- There are multiple openings in the TPM team, from infrastructure areas (such as developer experience, capacity planning, data infrastructure) to product engineering and customer facing groups (such as Rider, Driver, Eats, Maps).
Here are the skills and experiences we’re looking for:
- Minimum of 3 years experience as a program / project manager or engineering manager in a software, SaaS, or systems development environment.
- Solid technical aptitude and an ability to understand technical designs, challenges and risks. Engineers enjoy working closely with you.
- Experienced in project management. Familiar with both Agile and Waterfall methodologies and able to apply them where best suited.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and exceptional emotional intelligence. Ability to influence and motivate people across a broad variety of job functions through your relationships.
- Strong organizational skills to juggle many tasks without losing sight of the highest priority items.
- Analytical and truth seeking. Ability to understand complex concepts and make reasoned decisions objectively.
Desired but not required
- Computer Science degree.
- Worked at a high paced, fast growing, scrappy tech startup.
- Technical program management experience at an established company with a strong TPM team.
- Developer experience, including writing, testing and deploying code.
- Employees are showered with Uber credits each month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We’re bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top