Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
About the job
Uber's Security Response and Investigations team works to protect and mitigate threats across the company. We focus on preventing, detecting, attributing, and disrupting all forms of abuse. The team is a tight group of skilled engineers and technical investigators. Our focus areas include Fraud, Attribution, Information Security, Phishing, Malware, and Intrusion. As a Technical Investigator, you will be responsible for working with the team and at the direction of Legal to thoroughly investigate cases for follow-up.
This is an opportunity to be on the ground floor, helping to build out processes and the team, with your work affecting the company at large. This is a hands-on technical position tasked with investigating abuse on the Uber platform as well as against the business. You should enjoy getting your hands dirty doing complex analysis and investigations - you are the technical expert. You will solve complex puzzles, piecing together the most obscure clues, while building and communicating solid work product. Candidates must have a driving passion for hunting down the bad guys, as well as the intuition and judgement required to efficiently prioritize their work. Candidates must have excellent communication and problem solving skills, along with experience dealing with sensitive matters effectively and respectfully. Our stakeholders include Litigation teams, Law Enforcement, Human Resources, and others, depending on the case.
What you'll do
- Investigate complex threats against the business globally, providing high quality work product quickly.
- Conduct targeted investigations on highest priority matters impacting Uber and its community.
- Manage multiple cases and projects at once while effectively prioritizing time.
- Produce concise yet thorough case reports for internal and external stakeholders.
- You will be the technical expert for the cases you work.
What you'll need
Along with the extreme passion for the hunt, we're looking for solid technical generalists. While you don't need every skill on the list, you should be an expert in at least a few, a casual user of others, and a conceptual understanding of all.
- Experience with commercial & open source computer forensic tools such as Encase, Google Rapid Response.
- Intermediate to complex SQL, Splunk, ELK, Sumologic experience
- Intermediate to complex scripting language experience such as perl, python programming
- Familiarity with popular computer operating systems such as Windows, Unix, MacOS
- Familiarity with popular mobile operating systems such as Android, iOS
- Subject matter expertise in adversarial domains (eg: payments fraud, advertising network abuse, anti-money laundering, and collusion, incident response, bad actor attribution, anti-spam, etc)
- Strong communication skills that enable one to translate complex technical concepts to non - technical audiences
- Understanding of the technology risks that are inherent to a business and an ability to effectively communicate those risks
- Basic project management skills and detail orientation
- Able to working flexible hours and under pressure
- Concomitant expertise in R or other statistical programming languages
- i2 ANB / iBase, Maltego, Palantir, or other link analysis platforms.
- Fundamental understanding of application protocols (BGP,IP,TCP,DNS,HTTP)
- GCFA/CCE/CFCE/EnCe/CBE/OSCP certification
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top