Tax Operations and Technology Manager
Uber is expanding rapidly and we are looking to add a Manager to our Tax Operations Function in San Francisco. Are you a team player? Technically sharp? Have a love for number-crunching and analytical thinking, possess a passion for details and thrive under pressure? Then Uber offers you an opportunity to work with a stellar team at the heart of the company!
Your job is to implement best practices and enhance the effectiveness of Uber’s tax systems, processes and controls. This is an advisory position, but you must have a grasp of tax accounting and compliance concepts and an awareness of international issues facing a fast growing multinational. You will be working within the tax team and helping to shape the internal tax processes as well as supporting new products. In your role you will work with highly motivated, exceptionally talented, multi-cultural individuals.
What you’ll do:
- Develop expert level knowledge of the information technology environment as it relates to tax, including accounting, consolidation, forecasting systems and tax software as well as related policies and procedures, in order to provide guidance to the global tax team related to the availability, use and manipulation of data for tax reporting.
- Identify opportunities to streamline use of data, identify process improvements and coordinate with the finance and tax team on increasing efficiencies through technology, clearly documenting requirements and managing through execution.
- Assist in the development and delivery of training for the global tax team on the components that comprise the process and data aspects of the tax technology and operations environment.
- Oversee the global tax compliance processes, ensuring information flows effectively and managing against internal preparation and review timelines.
- Assist in the project management of the tax aspects of new business lines and initiatives, supporting tax resources through the identification and documentation of tax requirements, execution, testing and roll out.
- Manage specific process improvement initiatives, including the creation of tools and enablers, briefing and reference materials and co-ordinate the global roll out of such projects. Work with regional tax teams as needed to ensure that local requirements are considered in the development of the global policies and procedures.
- Assisting the regional tax teams to ensure compliance with global processes, and identify improvement opportunities based on continuous feedback.
- Support the Director of Tax Operations in managing tax department budget, including liaison with suppliers and local tax teams to ensure that contracts are negotiated competitively and in line with global policies, that monthly accounts payable processes are adhered to and that there are no surprises in the budget vs actual spend analysis.
- Manage all tax information reporting processes, including the tax documentation receipt/validation process, Form 1099/1042 filing requirements and FATCA across all Uber entities, including the application of withholding tax.
- Manage communications for the global tax team, including the development and maintenance of internal reference materials and regular updates and training as required to stakeholders outside of tax.
- Support special projects by researching and analyzing tax issues and creating appropriate deliverables for use within the tax department and in the broader company.
What we’re looking for:
- 6+ years of relevant finance/accounting experience
- BS/BA degree in accounting, finance, and/or related field
- Proven track record of leading global projects with measurable business impact
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with aggressive timelines
- Self-motivated with great attention to detail, project management and organizational skills and demonstrates strong ownership of tasks
- Skills to author requirements documents, technical specifications, interface mapping documents, and process flows
- Strong computer skills in MS Office, Onesource, knowledge of Oracle
- Strong accounting, analytical, and tax research skills
- Information Reporting experience, including Form 1099 and Form 1042 compliance and reporting, in a multinational organization environment preferred
- Experience in supporting audit defense
- Employees are given Uber credits each month.
- Ground floor opportunity with the team; shape the strategic direction of the company.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, cell phone reimbursement.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top