Tax Manager Uber for Business
Uber has already found strong product/market fit with its world-changing service, but it is still day one for us. We’re seeking a small group of unbelievably talented tax leaders to define and execute against a giant vision that builds upon what Uber has brought to the world so far.
You’ll work among star engineers, financial system analysts and product managers in a fast-paced, rapidly growing, hybrid finance/technology/operations environment. We deeply believe we can innovate our way out of any box. These roles demand great financial and technical depth, principled thinking, well honed product judgment, a stubborn refusal to settle and bold innovation.
Sound like you? Read on…
As Tax Manager, you will envision and execute the product roadmap for tax to enable our business lines to achieve an accurate, streamlined accounting and financial close process worldwide.
What you’ll do:
- Project manage all tax aspects of new business lines and initiatives, supporting launches in every city in EMEA by identifying and documenting unique tax requirements and working with other teams within Uber to bring the vision to life.
- Develop expert level knowledge of the information technology environment as it relates to tax, including accounting, consolidation, forecasting systems and tax software as well as related policies and procedures.
- Define the tax technology requirements for your business line, including invoicing, cash and user statements, and ensure the overall build, test and rollout is successful.
- Manage all tax information reporting process as it applies to your business, including the tax documentation receipt/validation process, VAT, EC Sales Listing requirements across all Uber entities, including the application of withholding tax.
- Assist the regional tax teams to ensure compliance with the defined roll out plans, and identify improvement opportunities based on continuous feedback.
- Manage the tax budget for your business line, including liaison with suppliers and local tax teams to ensure that contracts are negotiated competitively and in line with global policies, that monthly accounts payable processes are adhered to and that there are no surprises in the budget vs actual spend analysis.
- Support special projects by researching and analyzing tax issues and creating appropriate deliverables for use within the tax department and in the broader company.
What we’re looking for:
- Deep passion and expertise in financial systems and product management.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Tax and/or Accounting, Finance. Knowledge of indirect tax is a definite plus
- 6+ years of relevant tax/finance experience, preferably in-house
- Finger-tippiness with data: you just go get the data you need with no muss/fuss. You know how to leverage data to make decisions without getting stuck in analysis paralysis.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with aggressive timelines
- Self-motivated with great attention to detail, project management and organizational skills and demonstrates strong ownership of tasks
- Skills to author requirements documents, technical specifications, interface mapping documents, and process flows
- Strong computer skills in MS Office, Onesource, knowledge of Oracle
- Grittiness. You never hesitate to roll up your sleeves and tackle something hands-on, you persevere when others fall away.
- Passion for Uber’s mission and the company’s hybrid technology / operations nature
- Uber credits every month for taking trips
- Ground floor opportunity with the team: shape the strategic direction of the company
- The rare opportunity to help build a startup within a startup. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun and relaxed office environment
- We have access to an amazing list of advisors and investors that we actively engage
- Monthly gym reimbursement
- Full-time salary negotiable based on experience
- Equity compensation plan
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top