We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
Our systems engineers bring knowledge of standard methodologies from a variety of industries, and apply tools and agile processes to right-size efforts around generating and maintaining system-level documentation and interface specifications.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll Do
- You have technical literacy in electrical, mechanical, and software systems and will be unintimidated by myriad system elements and interactions in the contexts of development, test, production, and deployment of a complex product
- You will be responsible for maintaining concise, clear systems engineering work you're doing, communicating with other teams about technical requirements and validation tests, and adapting rapidly based on new information
- You will work in a small, self-optimizing team passionate about delivering results
What You'll Need
- Be familiar with system architecture diagrams, concept of operations documents, ICDs, APIs, and requirements management processes
- Understand how to assess technical risks, weigh potential trade-offs, and generate an insightful analysis of alternative solutions when required
- Differentiate between meaningful and unimportant issues instinctively
- Continually adapt within a systems engineering framework that complements parallel rapid prototyping iterations
- Have a confirmed ability to move fast and the confidence to travel a freshly blazed trail where industry standard methodologies have come up short
Bonus Points If
- Exposure to a product systems engineering group or a prior product/program management assignment requiring strong technical background
- Success at a startup, in a student project team, as a member of a dynamic skunkworks division, or in another non-traditional engineering environment
- Effective application of modified systems engineering processes to an unusual new application
- Familiarity with sophisticated, safety-critical software within automotive or another industry (e.g., aerospace, defense, medical, transportation)
- Exposure to automotive functional safety standards such as ISO 26262
- Regular collaboration, in person and via video conference, with team members in different physical locations
- You flourish with learning new technologies, pivot easily but thoughtfully to new ideas, and don't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions.
- Versatile teammate - You are willing to adapt to whatever role is most needed in a given moment, and you rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement
- Passionate - You feel ownership over everything you work on, and you hold yourself to higher standards and expectations than your current leader does
- Business savvy - You understand requirements beyond the written word and how your technical contributions will influence the viability of future products
About the Team
At the Advanced Technologies Group (ATG), we are building technologies that will transform the way the world moves. Our teams in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Phoenix, and Toronto are dedicated to mapping, software and hardware development, vehicle safety, and operations for self-driving technology. Our teams are passionate about developing a self-driving system that will one day move people and things around more safely, efficiently, and cost effectively.
The System Safety team within Uber ATG is charged with ensuring that, at every stage of development, our self-driving vehicles are demonstrably free from unreasonable risk when operating on public roads. We also hold primary responsibility for establishing durable specifications that will guide the integration of self-driving technology onto the Uber network at global scale.
Back to top