At ATG, we are ambitious, engaged and excited about transforming the way the world moves. With locations in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, and Toronto, the Advanced Technologies Group is comprised of Uber's self-driving engineering team dedicated to self-driving technologies, mapping, and vehicle safety. Our teams are passionate about developing long-term technologies that advance Uber's mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere.
Our work doesn't end with transporting people. We are also developing self-driving truck technology to move goods more safely and cost effectively around the world. We are working to make the process of moving people and goods safer and more efficient.
What you'll do:
A successful candidate for the Systems Engineer role will have technical literacy in electrical, mechanical, and software systems and will be unintimidated by myriad system elements and interactions in the contexts of development, test, production, and deployment of a complex product.
Responsibilities will include maintaining concise, clear systems engineering deliverables, communicating with other teams about technical requirements and validation tests, and adapting rapidly based on new information. You will work in a small, self-optimizing team focused on delivering results.
- Be familiar with system architecture diagrams, concept of operations documents, ICDs, APIs, and requirements management processes
- Understand how to assess technical risks, weigh potential tradeoffs, and generate an insightful analysis of alternative solutions when required
- Differentiate between important and unimportant issues instinctively
- Continually adapt within a systems engineering framework that complements parallel rapid prototyping iterations
- Have a proven ability to move fast and the confidence to travel a freshly blazed trail where industry best practices have come up short
Nice to haves:
- Exposure to a product systems engineering group or a prior product/program management assignment requiring strong technical background
- Success at a startup, in a student project team, as a member of a fast-paced skunkworks division, or in another non-traditional engineering environment
- Effective application of modified systems engineering processes to a unique new application
- Familiarity with sophisticated, safety-critical software within automotive or another industry (e.g., aerospace, defense, medical, transportation)
- Exposure to automotive functional safety standards such as ISO 26262
- Regular collaboration, in person and via video conference, with team members in different physical locations
- Fast learner. You thrive on learning new technologies, pivot easily but thoughtfully to new ideas, and don't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions.
- Versatile team player. You are willing to adapt to whatever role is most needed in a given moment, and you rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Passionate. You feel ownership over everything you work on, and you hold yourself to higher standards and expectations than your current boss does.
- Business savvy. You understand requirements beyond the written word and how your technical contributions will influence the viability of future products.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, ten paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top