We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 500 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Team:
Uber is looking for top-notch Engineers build, automate, and support compute infrastructure at scale. We are a team of generalists with strong backgrounds and varying expertise across all parts of the stack at scale.
We actively challenge existing trends and are always seeking the best solution to a problem. Not only are we solving our own problems, but because of our scale, we are solving problems that other companies have not yet had. This means we work closely with vendors and internal partners to stay aligned on solutions.
What you'll do:
This role involves a wide variety of technologies across large number of disciplines. We do not have 100% of our responsibilities set in stone, and are always looking for talented individuals to push us forward. We value the input of all our teammates, and it is important that you can contribute right away both with ideas and hands on engineering. You will have an opportunity to make an immediate impact that improves the quality of our infrastructure.
- Hardware Remediation - with ~5000 servers and growing, there is a daily backlog of hardware issues that need remediation. You are a customer-obsessed hardware liaison between tier 1 break-fixes and getting healthy servers back into the platform. As you find repetitive issues, you drive to automate the remediation.
- Datacenter Health Czar - monitoring and reacting to issues that require a tier 2+ resource to resolve. You are actively watching for, and remediating issues more quickly to increase uptime of servers, and the datacenter.
- Monitoring/Alerting Maturation - continued maturation and ownership of the monitoring and alerting solutions, ensuring issue resolution, automated response development, and new capability development.
- Proactive improvement - you take advantage of opportunities to own streamlining our monitoring/observability solution to unify all of our dashboards and Data Center visibility tools.
- Documentation - due to the high velocity and low bandwidth, readable, standard, and up to date documentation is always a struggle. You care about ensuring a virtuous cycle exists to build, then care for the documentation of your SME areas.
- Compliance - Ensuring our datacenter is consistently in compliance with the latest packages, security patches, etc.
Skills you'll need:
- Programming. You should be a passable programmer. This role will require the ability to understand others' code and to write your own for some automation tasks.
- Operating Systems. Experience in Linux is a must. A solid understanding of filesystems and modern memory management, threads and processes, the user/kernel-space divide, and all those other implementation details that keep the gears turning.
- Hardware experience. You have a good understanding of server hardware components, how they work, fail and interact with the OS and applications
- Configuration management experience. Puppet, Chef, etc.
- Monitoring/Visualization tools and best practices. Nagios, Grafana, etc.
- Networking. Good working knowledge of TCP/IP, and Knowledge of Linux/Windows and Network Administration.
- Ability to use a wide variety of open source technologies and tools
- Knowledge of best practices and IT operations in an always-up, always-available service
- Experience with any of these is a plus: Docker, Mesos, Hadoop, HDFS, Kafka, Clusto, Data Center hardware, Infiniband network hardware and configuration
- Bare metal deployment experience is a plus
- Knowledge of GIT version control system is a plus
Behaviors you'll need:
- Knowledge Seeking. We're looking for team members who thrive on applying their knowledge, learning new technologies and don't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the rapid pace of a rapidly evolving research, development, and testing environment.
- Fearlessness. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You strive on proving that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
- Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of core engineering fields, you understand how all the pieces fit together into integrated systems, and how they impact performance.
- Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code or design "released" until you're confident it's correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, strong documentation, and proper test coverage.
- A team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team — that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Open and proactive – not afraid to ask "why not?"
- Attention to detail
- Able to work to deadlines in a fast paced environment
- Flexibility in day-to-day work
- Ability to take over the full responsibility for given tasks
- Team player for whom learning is never-ending story
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top