Strategic Insights, Analyst
Uber’s executives and leaders rely on People Insights & Operations, our in-house people analytics team, to develop data-driven approaches to finding, developing, and retaining Uber’s greatest asset – its people. This team provides the foundation to how global talent is managed at Uber, and the Strategic Insights Analysts are the team’s bedrock. Analysts are tasked with building a people business intelligence function from the ground up while simultaneously experimenting with our own ideas, ultimately tackling HR challenges in a data-driven way few other companies have had the guts to try before. To do so, we apply rigorous analysis & data science principles to people data. It’s up to us to build the models and tools needed to make data accessible, perform deep-dive analyses of strategic importance to the company, and translate our work into findings that empower our leaders to make business decisions.
Given the world of people analytics is a new and emerging field, there’s no playbook out there for us on how to best tackle the challenges that come with extreme hyper-growth. As such, being a Strategic Insights Analyst requires a mix of strategic thinking, creativity in the face of ambiguity, analytical brains, business intuition, and pure hustle. If you think you have what it takes, read on!
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Transform numbers on a screen into intelligible stories that reflect the actual experience of both our current & prospective employees around the globe
- Brainstorm and implement people analytics research projects, developing and managing groundbreaking research on a changing series of topics that address critical people-related issues
- Design and develop the tools and processes needed to make our People data accessible to our employees & empower our business leaders to make tough decisions in recruiting & managing our talent
- Partner with colleagues in the People Analytics team as well as leaders and executives across Uber (both inside and outside the People team) as the analytical engine that drives towards solutions for their toughest talent problems
WHAT YOU MUST BE:
- Biased towards action. You don’t fold under pressure; in fact, you run towards challenges (not away) even in the face of ambiguity and will do what it takes to meet our goals
- A team player. None of our work is in a silo. The reward comes not from individual glory but from the collective satisfaction of a job well done
- A naturally curious problem-solver. You have an analytical mind and can navigate obstacles on the fly in a thoughtful, creative, and logical way
- A data geek. You love crunching numbers and are a firm believer in their power to tell a story
- A lover of people. You’re excited to know that your work will directly impact Uber employees and future candidates
- Detail-oriented. When the data on the screen is a reflection of the colleagues you work with, there’s no room for error
- A learner. You don’t need to be an expert in everything at the start, but you’re confident and excited at the prospect of improving both yourself and the value you bring to the team
- A communicator. You will have to explain your data to key stakeholders both inside and outside the People team; at times, you may be required to be the face of the People team to Uber’s employees
- Excited about impact. Your work at a minimum will define how Uber manages its global talent, and could potentially set the precedent for what the people analytics industry looks like for the foreseeable future
- Bachelor and/or Master’s degree, preferably in analytically-related field
- 2-4 years of consulting / operations / analytical or related experience. People analytics background a plus
- Strong quantitative analysis expertise in one or more analytical tools. Fluency with spreadsheets is a minimum; SQL, Python, R, Stata, etc. a plus
- Ability to tell a story using Powerpoint or Keynote
- No direct HR / people analytics experience is needed!
PERKS & BENEFITS (U.S.):
- Uber credits each month
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets; our company is here to make transportation as reliable as running water.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top