Staff Software Engineer
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world. Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
What you'll do:
Uber's Advanced Technologies Maps Engineering Team is helping build the next generation of mapping and sensing technologies. The work we do is directly impacting Uber's mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere. Our team is comprised of world-class engineers with decades of software development and geospatial experience. We're looking for superstar engineers who can work faster and smarter without sacrificing technical excellence.
Staff Engineers are able to whiteboard a theoretical model while at the same time roll up their sleeves and churn out efficient code. The position requires being a thought leader on the team, being able to technically mentor a team of engineers, and create cross-team impact.
Here are the skills that we are looking for:
A Staff-level Engineering role at Uber is special. Engineers at this level represent the top 5% of Engineers at Uber and will have a deep impact across a wide variety of business and technology decisions spanning multiple projects and at times, locations.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in an engineering field (e.g. Computer Science, Computer Engineering, etc.)
- 10+ years experience designing, implementing large scale distributed systems
- Proven track record of results as a Staff Engineer level or above at a premier technology company
- Deep, industry leading expertise in one or more technology domains and are the "go-to" person for one or more areas of their business. Actively seek out the toughest technology and engineering problems and solve them little to no guidance.
- Staff level engineers are exceptional mentors. They are trusted advisors for both team members and leaders alike. They deal with conflict in a mature and fair way.
- Creative problem solver - Staff level engineers have an excellent understanding of business goals and are able to identify high impact problems. Additionally, they are then able to influence other top engineers across the organization to solve highly complex problems.
- Strong Code and documentation - your code should be used as the example for your company and you have the ability to build and design technical solutions from the ground up.
- Champion best software engineering practices such as continuous integration, delivery, and deployment.
Skills that are a plus:
- Experience working with large-scale geospatial data
- Deep hands-on expertise in distributed computing in Hadoop/HDFS, Spark, and Cassandra environments.
- Experience with machine learning/statistical inferencing technologies such as random forests, boosting, deep neural nets., Bayesian nets, etc.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
See Inside the Office of Uber
Uber is an on-demand car service that’s shaking up transportation systems around the world. By solving some of the world’s biggest problems, Uber hopes to create a future where there is limitless freedom of movement for people and things across the globe. Through passion, optimism, and curiosity for building solutions, the team at Uber strives to learn together, solve together, build together, and ultimately move the world forward together.
Back to top