Sr Systems Safety Engineer - Detroit
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
Our safety experts apply analytical skills and expertise throughout the product development lifecycle, and we work with software engineers, hardware engineers, test teams, and external partners to efficiently deliver the appropriate level of assurance for on-road, highly automated systems. Our systems engineers bring knowledge of standard methodologies from a variety of industries, and apply tools and agile processes to right-size efforts around generating and maintaining system-level documentation and interface specifications.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll Do
- As the Senior System Safety Engineer, you will have a strong background in system analysis and a rare ability to gain influence within an organization and steward complex initiatives
- Responsibilities will include guiding the execution of novel and effective approaches to substantiating the safety of self-driving vehicles
- You will work in a small, self-optimizing team focused on delivering results, not building an empire
What You'll Need
- Be authorities in facilitating system/design/software FMEAs, FTAs, and risk assessments
- Have a track record of going beyond just implementing according to standard procedures
- Be knowledgeable about safety critical system design and validation, and ideally familiar with fail-operational system architectures in vehicles
- Understand statistical analysis methods and potential pitfalls around issues of data quality
- Consistently demonstrate creativity, practicality, and maturity in approaching system safety
- Have a validated ability to move fast and innovate where standards do not currently exist
- Be comfortable in non-traditional environments -- will be highly beneficial to have worked with startups, in an Agile development process, or in a fast-paced skunkworks division
- Have demonstrated experience working on large software systems
Bonus Points If
- Building novel safety cases and concepts for sophisticated automated vehicles and/or other robotic or cyber-physical systems
- Influencing engineering teams to understand system safety concepts and implement these concepts in hardware and software designs
- Assessing residual risk and making/defending smart judgements against business imperatives for forward progress
- Adapting traditional standard safety processes to unique new technology applications
- Tailoring functional safety standards such as ISO 26262 to highly automated driving
- Applying standards/principles such as IEC 61508, DO-178, STPA, ALARA, etc. from another industry (e.g., aerospace, defense, medical) to a new domain
- Fast learner - You flourish with learning new technologies, pivot easily but thoughtfully to new ideas, and don't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions.
- Versatile standout colleague - You are willing to adapt to whatever role is most needed in a given moment, and you rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement
- Passionate - You feel ownership over everything you work on, and you hold yourself to higher standards and expectations than your current leader does
- Business savvy - You understand requirements beyond the written word and how your technical contributions will influence the viability of future products
About the Team
At the Advanced Technologies Group (ATG), we are building technologies that will transform the way the world moves. Our teams in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Phoenix, and Toronto are dedicated to mapping, software and hardware development, vehicle safety, and operations for self-driving technology. Our teams are passionate about developing a self-driving system that will one day move people and things around more safely, efficiently, and cost effectively.
The System Safety team within Uber ATG is charged with ensuring that, at every stage of development, our self-driving vehicles are demonstrably free from unreasonable risk when operating on public roads. We also hold primary responsibility for establishing durable specifications that will guide the integration of self-driving technology onto the Uber network at global scale.
Back to top