Sr Systems Safety Engineer
At ATG, we are ambitious, engaged and excited about transforming the way the world moves. With locations in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, and Toronto, the Advanced Technologies Group is comprised of Uber's self-driving engineering team dedicated to self-driving technologies, mapping, and vehicle safety. Our teams are passionate about developing long-term technologies that advance Uber's mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere.
Our work doesn't end with transporting people. We are also developing self-driving truck technology to move goods more safely and cost effectively around the world. We are working to make the process of moving people and goods safer and more efficient.
The System Safety team within Uber ATG is charged with ensuring that, at every stage of development, our self-driving vehicles are demonstrably free from unreasonable risk when operating on public roads. We also hold primary responsibility for establishing durable specifications that will guide the integration of self-driving technology onto the Uber network at global scale.
Our safety experts apply analytical skills and expertise throughout the product development lifecycle, and we work with software engineers, hardware engineers, test teams, and external partners to efficiently deliver the appropriate level of assurance for on-road, highly automated systems.
Our systems engineers bring knowledge of best practices from a variety of industries, and apply tools and agile processes to right-size efforts around generating and maintaining system-level documentation and interface specifications.
What you'll do
- As the Senior System Safety Engineer, you will have a strong background in system analysis and an uncommon ability to gain influence within an organization and steward complex initiatives.
- Responsibilities will include guiding the execution of novel and effective approaches to substantiating the safety of self-driving vehicles. You will work in a small, self-optimizing team focused on delivering results, not building an empire.
What you'll need
- Be experts in facilitating system/design/software FMEAs, FTAs, and risk assessments
- Have a track record of going beyond just implementing according to standard procedures
- Be knowledgeable about safety critical system design and validation, and ideally familiar with fail-operational system architectures in vehicles
- Understand statistical analysis methods and potential pitfalls around issues of data quality
- Consistently demonstrate creativity, practicality, and maturity in approaching system safety
- Have a proven ability to move fast and blaze a trail where standards do not currently exist
- Be comfortable in non-traditional environments -- will be highly beneficial to have worked with startups, in an Agile development process, or in a fast-paced skunkworks division
- Have demonstrated experience working on large software systems
Nice to Have's
- Building novel safety cases and concepts for sophisticated automated vehicles and/or other robotic or cyber-physical systems
- Influencing engineering teams to understand system safety concepts and implement these concepts in hardware and software designs
- Assessing residual risk and making/defending smart judgements in the face of business imperatives for forward progress
- Adapting traditional standard safety processes to unique new technology applications, e.g.,
- Tailoring functional safety standards such as ISO 26262 to highly automated driving
- Applying standards/principles such as IEC 61508, DO-178, STPA, ALARA, etc. from another industry (e.g., aerospace, defense, medical) to a new domain
- Fast learner. You thrive on learning new technologies, pivot easily but thoughtfully to new ideas, and don't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions.
- Versatile team player. You are willing to adapt to whatever role is most needed in a given moment, and you rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Passionate. You feel ownership over everything you work on, and you hold yourself to higher standards and expectations than your current boss does.
- Business savvy. You understand requirements beyond the written word and how your technical contributions will influence the viability of future products.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, ten paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top