Sr Systems Engineer - uMetal
Uber is looking for top-notch Engineers to automate and build compute infrastructure at scale. We are a team of generalists with strong backgrounds and varying expertise across all parts of the stack at scale.
We actively challenge existing hardware trends and are always seeking the best solution to a problem. Not only are we solving our own problems, but because of our scale, we are solving problems that other companies have not yet had. This means we work closely with vendors and help shape their roadmaps to solve these problems.
This role involves a wide variety of technologies across large number of disciplines. You will be expected to jump in and develop strong solutions at scale. We do not have responsibilities set in stone, and are always looking for talented individuals to push us forward. We value the input of all our teammates, and it is important that you can contribute right away both with ideas and hands on engineering. You will have an opportunity to make an immediate impact that improves the quality of our infrastructure.
Here are the kinds of skills we're looking for:
- Ability to automate. You should have an instinct and intuition to automate whatever you can and improve the efficiency of our processes.
- Coding skills. You don't need to be a C++ wizard, but you should at least have a strong background in one or more high level scripting language.
- Operating Systems. You should have strong experience in the Linux environment and a solid understanding of its fundamentals, such as DHCP, PXE, various imaging solutions, packaging, kernel tuning, etc.
- Configuration management. You should have real world experience with something like Puppet, Chef, Saltstack, or Ansible.
- Team player. We have internal customers whom we want to serve to the best of our ability. You should have customer service skills and be able to develop solutions that span multiple teams.
- Networking. Good working knowledge of TCP/IP is crucial. You need to be able to troubleshoot issues using tcpdump.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
- Employees are given Uber credits each month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Back to top