Sr Systems Engineer
At ATG, we are ambitious, engaged and excited about transforming the way the world moves. With locations in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, and Toronto, the Advanced Technologies Group is comprised of Uber's self-driving engineering team dedicated to self-driving technologies, mapping, and vehicle safety. Our teams are passionate about developing long-term technologies that advance Uber's mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere.
Our work doesn't end with transporting people. We are also developing self-driving truck technology to move goods more safely and cost effectively around the world. We are working to make the process of moving people and goods safer and more efficient.
The System Safety team within Uber ATG is charged with ensuring that, at every stage of development, our self-driving vehicles are demonstrably free from unreasonable risk when operating on public roads. We also hold primary responsibility for establishing durable specifications that will guide the integration of self-driving technology onto the Uber network at global scale.
Our safety experts apply analytical skills and expertise throughout the product development lifecycle, and we work with software engineers, hardware engineers, test teams, and external partners to efficiently deliver the appropriate level of assurance for on-road, highly automated systems.
Our systems engineers bring knowledge of best practices from a variety of industries, and apply tools and agile processes to right-size efforts around generating and maintaining system-level documentation and interface specifications.
What you'll do
- As a Senior Systems Engineer, you will have exceptional technical intuition spanning electrical, mechanical, and software systems and will possess the ability to comprehend and catalogue myriad system elements and interactions in the contexts of development, test, production, and deployment of a complex product.
- Responsibilities will include generating concise, clear systems engineering deliverables, communicating business and technical requirements at differing levels as appropriate to the audience, and adapting rapidly based on new information.
- You will work in a small, self-optimizing team focused on delivering results, not building an empire.
What you'll need
- Be fluent in system architecture diagrams, concept of operations documents, ICDs, APIs, requirements management processes, and system verification plans
- Understand how to assess risks, weigh potential tradeoffs, and swiftly generate an insightful analysis of alternative solutions when required
- Differentiate between important and unimportant issues and help others do the same
- Continually shape a systems engineering framework to be complementary to, and augmented by, rapid system prototyping iterations happening in parallel
- Communicate with external partners thoughtfully and with deference to intellectual property and business relationship considerations
- Have a proven ability to move fast and the confidence to blaze a trail where industry best practices come up short
Nice to have's
- Product systems engineering responsibilities or a prior product/program manager role requiring strong technical background in an engineering discipline
- Success at a startup, within an Agile development process, as a member of a fast-paced skunkworks division, or in another non-traditional engineering environment
- Effective adaptation of standard systems engineering processes to unique new technology applications
- Familiarity with sophisticated, safety-critical software within automotive or another industry (e.g., aerospace, defense, medical, transportation)
- Exposure to automotive functional safety standards such as ISO 26262
- Regular collaboration, in person and via video conference, with international business partners
- Fast learner. You thrive on learning new technologies, pivot easily but thoughtfully to new ideas, and don't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions.
- Versatile team player. You are willing to adapt to whatever role is most needed in a given moment, and you rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Passionate. You feel ownership over everything you work on, and you hold yourself to higher standards and expectations than your current boss does.
- Business savvy. You understand requirements beyond the written word and how your technical contributions will influence the viability of future products.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, ten paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top