Sr Software Engineer - Software Networking
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use every day. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
Uber's Software Networking team is seeking experienced software developers to help create the future of urban transportation. Sound interesting? Read on.
Our job is to keep the engine running. We've built the foundation of a highly cohesive, loosely coupled service-oriented architecture that's going to propel us into the next 10x. The Software Networking team's mission is to build the next generation of Uber's Service Discovery, Datacenter Ingress, Load Balancing, and RPC solutions. These are high-impact problem areas that empower every engineering team across the company.
We're establishing best practices and helping other teams architect better solutions, and we're not afraid to get into the nitty gritty low-level details. Our tools power everything from automatic datacenter failovers, layer-7 load balancing, and the APIs developers use to consume other Uber services. We have a measurable impact on ensuring Uber remains reliable, durable and scalable.
What you'll need:
- Folks who understand computers and what happens when a lot of them get together in a room.
- We're developing cross-datacenter, multi-master systems. We need engineers who care deeply about distributed computing, monitoring, fault-tolerance, durability and scalability.
- Experience with code optimization and run-time analysis. Do you dream of strace output? Please join us.
- Knowledge of data structures and an eye for architecture. Do you know where to use a red-black tree and where to use a hashtable? Let's talk.
- We primarily work at Layer 7 of the OSI model, so we look for solid API design skills and a strong emphasis on testing.
- Our core language is Go. Proficiency is preferred but not necessary. Experience in C++ is great.
- We strongly prefer generalists over low-level networking gurus. Familiarity with Software Defined Networking concepts (control, forwarding and data planes) is a plus but not essential.
We're bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need your skills and passion to help make it happen!
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top