Sr Software Engineer - Map Services (Routing)
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 500 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
Maps are critical to Uber's mission of making transportation reliable and efficient, and the Map Services team is looking for engineers who are as passionate about solving complex problems as they are about directly impacting transportation of billions of people.
Routing team is a part of Map services and owns the full stack of technologies that result in time (ETAs), distance and routeline estimations starting from processing of GPS driver locations, to machine-learned ETA adjustments and sophisticated turn-by-turn instructions for navigation. Our consumers are all Uber services ranging from eyeball ETAs, Dispatch decisions, Pool Matching, Fare estimation and calculation, or driver app navigation.
As a fullstack engineer (frontend/backend) you will be working on:
a) Front-end visualization tools for the routing algorithms, real time and predicted traffic, navigation features, map matching, machine learning algorithms, location data analytics, and more.b) Backend systems - all backend systems that need to have debugging and viz tools.
The team is based in San Francisco.
Why join us?
- Teammates. Work with sharp, motivated teammates in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- Impact. Routing is central to Uber's success. You'll be working on very important and visible projects - both inside and outside of Uber. Your code will move real people and things.
- Data. You'll build meaningful traffic models out of billions of GPS points. Big and detailed data provides endless opportunities for machine learning and analytics.
- High scalability engineering. Build world class engineering for high throughput and low latency distributed systems. We take ownership in creating elegant and reliable code.
- Fun problem solving. We love solving challenging problems with cutting edge algorithms. We move fast and build things that have never been built before.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the TeamHere are the kinds of things we're looking for:
- A team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team — that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Passion. You love solving problems and are driven to improve the lives of billions of people by the code and products we build.
- Ownership. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code "released" until you're confident it's correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, strong documentation, and proper test coverage.
- Computer science fundamentals. You know which algorithms and data structures to apply to create blazing fast experiences. You are aware of the power of data. You are interested in building scalable and reliable services.
- Fast learner. You thrive on learning new technologies and don't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the needs of our massive growth and rapidly evolving business environment.
- Proactivity. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You strive to find the best solutions based on data.
- Adaptability. You are able to adapt to a constantly changing and evolving environment.
Back to top