Sr Software Engineer - Hadoop Realtime Profiling and Observability
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
Uber is on the lookout for top-notch software engineers to join our Data Infrastructure team. This role involves building and managing robust distributed systems to solve infrastructure challenges that delight our quickly growing platform engineering and product engineering teams, enabling the whole engineering organization to iterate at top speed in an open, decentralized environment. You will be working on a set of Hadoop profiling, observability and scalability problems that help improving efficiency of our Hadoop stack from compute to storage.
As founding members of this new team, you have the opportunity to define, design, and develop the system from the ground up. You will be part of a team of strong software and systems engineers, executing in a fast paced environment. Moreover, your work will be open-sourced. If you love working on software products that touch the physical world and want some serious experience under exponential growth conditions, this is it.
Are you among the rare breed of software engineers with a passion for systems, designing and managing highly reliable infrastructure? You should have a demonstrable ability to debug complicated failures and be able to grok complex systems from high level design all the way down to their syscalls.
- Design and deliver software and tools to advance the reliability of infrastructure including availability, performance, efficiency & scaling.
- Systems architecture design, including management of upstream and downstream dependencies.
- Provide technical leadership, influence and partner with fellow engineers to architect, design and build infrastructure that can stand the test of scale and availability, while reducing operational overhead.
- Drive efficiencies in systems and processes through automation: capacity planning, configuration management, performance tuning, monitoring and root cause analysis.
- Participate in periodic on-call rotations and be available for escalations.
- Collaborate with platform, product and security engineering teams, and enable successful use of infrastructure and foundational services.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or a related technical discipline, or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of experience building and managing distributed systems. Sound understanding of fundamentals and principles of distributed systems.
- Highly proficient in one of the following programming languages: Java, Go, C/C++. Good scripting skills and ability to pick up new ones.
- Systematic problem solving approach and knowledge of algorithms, data structures and complexity analysis.
- Experience with a relational database (MySQL, PostgreSQL)
- Good working knowledge of networking (TCP/IP, HTTP, Thrift).
- Power-user Linux knowledge and willingness to explore Linux internals.
- Under the hood experience with big data analytics technologies such as Apache Hadoop (HDFS and YARN), Hive, Spark, Tez, Presto is a plus.
- Under the hood experience with similar systems such as Vertica, Apache Impala, Drill, Google Borg, Google BigQuery, Amazon RedShift, Kubernetes, Mesos etc. is also a plus.
- Grit, drive and a strong feeling of ownership coupled with collaboration and leadership.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top