Sr Software Engineer, Hadoop Analytics & Infrastructure
Uber is currently looking for engineers with expertise and passion for building large scale data analytics systems. The Hadoop Analytics and Infrastructure team is part of the Data Infrastructure team at Uber. Based in Palo Alto, the team is responsible for building the interactive and batch querying systems, advanced data processing platforms and the underlying storage and resource management infrastructure.
Our mission is to design, develop, and manage world-class big data systems which are highly scalable, available, fault tolerant, secure, powerful and efficient to empower data driven decisions for every group within Uber; from data scientists to city operations teams, from product engineers to marketing. Some of the products that we power include driver/rider matching, ETA calculations, Image recognition for Maps and autonomous vehicles, secure data access, adhoc exploration of city level patterns etc.
SOME OF THE CHALLENGING PROBLEMS WE ARE SOLVING:
- Provide interactive SQL access to 10s of PB of data with a few seconds of latency
- Unified Scheduler for Batch and Online workloads to globally optimize resources
- Data Security with Authentication, Authorization, and Auditing mechanisms
- Interactive workbench to boost productivity of Uber's Data Scientists
HERE IS WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
- Be customer obsessed and ability to translate customer and technical requirements into detailed architecture and design
- Self-motivated learner with strong systems level coding, testing, debugging, code review and design review skills
- Experience with distributed systems, large scale data analytics, query optimization and execution, highly available/fault tolerant systems, replicated data storage, and operating complex services running in the on-prem or cloud are all pluses
- Passionate about mentoring other engineers, fostering our fast paced culture in them, and helping build a fast-growing impactful team
- Under the hood experience with some of the big data analytics technologies we currently use such as Apache Hadoop (HDFS and YARN), Hive, Spark, Docker/Mesos, and Tez. Presto is a plus. Under the hood experience with similar systems such as Vertica, Apache Impala, Drill, Google Borg, Google BigQuery, Amazon RedShift, Kubernetes, Mesos etc. is also a plus.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We're bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top