Sr Software Engineer - Distributed Tracing Infrastructure
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale, energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
About the team
Jaeger is Uber's open-source Distributed Tracing system, designed to provide real time performance monitoring and profiling for distributed architectures. Inspired by Google's Dapper and OpenZipkin, Jaeger is a complete redesign based on the new OpenTracing standard. Since its first deployment in production about a year ago over 600 microservices have been integrated with Jaeger, with many hundreds more to come.
The project has recently been open sourced and the team is working with other major tech companies to make this the leading tracing project for large scale distributed tracing systems worldwide. Check out our Distributed Tracing blog post: https://eng.uber.com/distributed-tracing/
Jaeger is part of the larger Observability group within Uber Infrastructure charged with measuring and monitoring every mission-critical service at Uber. Headquartered in New York and with additional teams in San Francisco and Lithuania, the Observability team develops a portfolio of measurement, tracing, and monitoring services aimed at providing maximum visibility into systems behavior to engineers across Uber.
What you'll do
The Jaeger team seeks a seasoned back-end engineer to drive major new features within this project. This position requires solid experience building highly scalable backends.
- You easily break down requirements into architecture and deliver code, while keeping operational issues in mind.
- You care about writing clear documentation so that other engineers can jump in and get stuff done.
- Work with eng teams across Uber to understand their tracing requirements and develop solutions.
What you'll need
- 5+ years in software development
- Experience in working on large scale distributed systems
- Deep domain knowledge and experience with backend tools, frameworks, and languages
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well in a team
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top