Sr Software Engineer - Distributed Tracing Infrastructure
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
Jaeger is Uber's open-source Distributed Tracing system, designed to provide real time performance monitoring and profiling for distributed architectures. Inspired by Google's Dapper and OpenZipkin, Jaeger is a complete redesign based on the new OpenTracing standard. Since its first deployment in production about a year ago over 600 microservices have been integrated with Jaeger, with many hundreds more to come.
The project has recently been open sourced and the team is working with other major tech companies to make this the leading tracing project for large scale distributed tracing systems worldwide. Check out our Distributed Tracing blog post: https://eng.uber.com/distributed-tracing/
What You'll Do
- The Jaeger team seeks a seasoned back-end engineer to drive major new features within this project. This position requires solid experience building highly scalable backends
- You easily break down requirements into architecture and deliver code, while keeping operational issues in mind
- You care about writing clear documentation so that other engineers can jump in and get stuff done
- Work with eng teams across Uber to understand their tracing requirements and develop solutions
What You'll Need
- Minimum of 5 years in software development
- Experience in working on large scale distributed systems
- Deep domain knowledge and experience with backend tools, frameworks, and languages
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well in a team
About the Team
Jaeger is part of the larger Observability group within Uber Infrastructure charged with measuring and monitoring every mission-critical service at Uber. Headquartered in New York and with additional teams in San Francisco and Lithuania, the Observability team develops a portfolio of measurement, tracing, and monitoring services aimed at providing maximum visibility into systems behavior to engineers across Uber.
Back to top