Sr Software Engineer- Distributed Systems (New York)
Do you love Uber and want to bring it to the next level? Do you know how to build scalable systems that can propel us through the next 100x growth phase? Then you should join Uber’s infrastructure team in NYC. Our NYC software engineering efforts are just getting started, so help shape the culture, work on a small team and be on the ground floor of something big.
Our job is to keep the engine running. We’ve built the foundation of a highly cohesive, loosely coupled service-oriented architecture that’s going to need to support a big business and engineering team that’s doubling every six months. We’re eradicating our vanilla single-master-multiple-slave topologies, splitting data processing pipelines up to work in multiple hot datacenters and rethinking queueing systems that now handle hundreds of millions of jobs. Peak load is still a stressful time for us, but we’re hard at work building the next generation platform that will scale with grace.
The infrastructure team is building systems for consumption by all the other engineering teams at Uber. We’re setting best practices and helping other teams architect better solutions, and we’re not afraid to get our hands dirty. We might write a data store from scratch, tack a new logical solution on top of an existing one, split up a monolithic codebase or just optimize some SQL queries. We’re going to go in where we’re needed most and ensure that Uber is reliable, durable and scaleable.
Our systems are active across multiple physical data centers in the US and China and multiple cloud providers. We tackle the many challenges that come with Uber’s massive scale. Lately we’re doing lots of work in Go with a bit of C++ when performance warrants. We use a blended storage model of Cassandra with optimized in-memory data structures for real-time data.
WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Folks who understand computers and what happens when a lot of them get together in a room.
- We’re building cross-datacenter, multi-master systems. We need engineers who think about monitoring, fault-tolerance, durability and scalability.
- Experience with code optimization and run-time analysis. Do you dream of strace output? Please join us.
- Knowledge of data structures and an eye for architecture. Do you know where to use a red-black tree and where to use a hashtable? Let’s talk.
- Beyond being able to use a database, do you know how they work? Do you care? We do.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- Beautiful new office in Chelsea
- Delicious catered lunches
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment
- Unlimited vacation policy so you can work hard and take time when you need it
- Competitive salary
- Equity compensation plan
- Generous medical, dental and vision coverage to fit your needs
- Gym reimbursement
Help us make transportation so available and affordable that private ownership of automobiles becomes a relic of the past. Reinvent logistics to create a world where everything can be delivered on-demand. Don’t you want a job where you can move atoms, not just bits?
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top