Sr Software Engineer - Data Infrastructure
We are looking for talented & motivated engineers to help build the data infrastructure that will power Uber, as we move real people and things, in the 360+ cities across the world.
You will help evaluate and build the next generation of data infrastructure technologies, that will drive the development of Uber’s data driven, real-time marketplace vision. You will help build a real-time ingestion pipeline to collect all of Uber’s data into our Hadoop data lake, making it available for a hungry customer base that is working hard to make our products better. You will help figure out how to sift through terabytes of data at low latency, to answer burning questions from our city teams. You will dive deep into the core of large scale data processing systems like Apache Spark/Hadoop and come out the other end, with operational insights that will truly help us offer them as a platform at Uber. You will tease apart the best way to index geospatial data in NoSQL datastores and build leverageable solutions, that our data viz teams will use to create powerful visualizations of a city’s traffic. You will work within a team of solid engineering talent to build the platform itself as well as collaborate with every other team in our organization to build generalized, scalable, accessible and fault tolerant solutions to Uber’s most pressing analytical needs.
Working on Uber’s infrastructure is an enormous challenge as we need to balance the company’s needs to move fast today while continuing to build platforms that will be leveraged for the products of tomorrow. Long term vision, a keen eye for detail and a manic obsession with technical quality are non-negotiable pre-requisites.
Does this sound like fun to you? Are you a proven team player, strategic thinker and executor? Then let’s talk.
HERE ARE THE KINDS OF SKILLS WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- Strong engineering background, ideally experienced with large scale data/distributed systems
- Enjoys responsibilities that come with owning critical pieces of infrastructure
- Deep understanding of storage, replication, indexing
- Experience with filesystems, server architectures, and performance tuning
- Solid foundation in distributed systems concepts
- Expert knowledge developing and debugging in Java and/or Scala on *nix
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We’re bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top