Sr Software Engineer, Data Infrastructure
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
We are looking for skilled & motivated engineers to help create the data infrastructure that will fuel Uber, as we move real people and things, in the 360+ cities across the world.
You will help evaluate and build the next generation of data infrastructure technologies, that will propel the development of Uber's data-driven, real-time marketplace vision. You will help create a real-time ingestion pipeline to collect all of Uber's data into our Hadoop data lake, making it available for a hungry customer base that is working hard to make our products better. You will help figure out how to sift through terabytes of data at low latency, to answer burning questions from our city teams. You will dive deep into the core of large scale data processing systems like Apache Spark/Hadoop and come out the other end, with operational insights that will truly help us offer them as a platform at Uber. You will tease apart the best way to index geospatial data in NoSQL datastores and build leverageable solutions, that our data viz teams will use to create compelling and pertinent visualizations of a city's traffic. You will work within a team of highly-skilled engineers to create the platform itself as well as collaborate with every other team in our organization to build generalized, scalable, accessible and fault tolerant solutions to Uber's most pressing analytical needs.
Working on Uber's infrastructure is an enormous challenge as we need to balance the company's needs to be efficient today while continuing to develop platforms that will be leveraged for the products of tomorrow. Long term vision, a keen eye for detail and a passion for technical quality are non-negotiable pre-requisites.
Does this sound exciting to you? Are you a tested team player, strategic thinker and executor? We want to hear from you.
What you'll need
- Excellent engineering background, ideally experienced with large scale data/distributed systems
- Enjoys responsibilities that come with owning critical pieces of infrastructure
- Deep understanding of storage, replication, indexing
- Experience with filesystems, server architectures, and performance tuning
- Deep foundation in distributed systems concepts
- Significant knowledge developing and debugging in Java and/or Scala on *nix
We're bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need your skills and passion to help make it happen!
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top