Sr Software Engineer - Build Platform
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
Uber is on the lookout for top-notch senior engineers to join our Distributed Build Systems team. This role involves designing, developing and scaling a robust platform and experience to solve Uber's build/dependency management challenges across multiple languages. You will help delight our engineering teams, and enabling the whole engineering organization to iterate rapidly.
We're part of the Infrastructure organization, and that makes us engineers for engineers. Our build platform spans Uber's data centers and cloud providers. You will be part of a team of infrastructure engineers, executing in a fast paced environment. If you love working in a dynamic, agile environment and look forward to the challenge of building platforms and tools that will take Uber engineering to the next level, we would like to talk to you.
As a Senior Software Engineer in the Developer Experience group, you will be responsible for the high level design to developer experience to implementation to troubleshooting syscalls in some of the following areas: build platform, dependency management, artifact lifecycle management, related developer tools and experience, and operational automation.
What you'll be responsible for:
- Provide technical leadership and partner with fellow engineers to envision, architect, develop and scale the build platform that enables engineers to compile, link and execute tests at scale.
- Manage upstream and downstream dependencies, collaborate with engineering teams and security, and enable successful adoption of build infrastructure.
- Drive ongoing efficiency and reliability improvements to build platform through design and automation: availability, performance tuning, monitoring and capacity scaling.
- Participate in a periodic on-call rotation and be available for escalations.
- Qualities we're looking for:
- You can work across teams in our rapidly growing company and drive standardization.
- You are not afraid to challenge existing preconceptions with a goal of making developer experience a pure magic.
- You love making complicated things simple.
- You easily break down requirements into architecture and deliver code, while keeping operational issues in mind.
- You care about writing clear documentation so that other engineers can jump in and get stuff done.
Skills we're looking for:
- BS/MS/Ph.D. in Computer Science or a related discipline, or equivalent experience.
- 7+ years of experience developing/operating high performance and large scale distributed systems in production. Sound understanding of fundamentals and principles of distributed systems.
- Expert level in one of the following programming languages: Go, Java, C/C++, Python, C# and good scripting skills.
- Systematic problem solving approach and knowledge of algorithms, data structures and complexity analysis.
- Experience with containerization and job scheduling technologies (Docker, Mesos).
- Some experience with full stack development involving a database (MySQL or Cassandra), caching (Redis), and user interface is ideal.
- Good knowledge of working in a Linux environment and networking basics.
- A good understanding of operating and scaling large-scale distributed systems in practice including application security, monitoring and managing incidents.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well within a team and across offices.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top