Sr Software Engineer -Adtech
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
If you are the type of engineer who loves creating high leverage systems that enhance efficiency and effectiveness, we'd love to chat with you. We are looking for Senior Engineers who can come and help define the next generation Architecture for Marketing at Uber. If you like billions of rows of data, 10ms response times, and having a multi million dollar impact per engineer, we'd like to hear from you!
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll Do
- Work on systems to track and report on ad spend ROI.
- Build systems to automate ad operations.
- Work on systems that will use advanced machine learning techniques to optimize spend within different channels
- Build and work with real-time/batch data pipelines that track and attribute ad spend to actions that Uber users take (e.g. take rides, eats orders, etc.).
- Build systems that detect ad fraud and help us eliminate ad networks that are only here to rob us of our money.
- Build systems that get us free traffic (SEO and content) instead of having us pay other ad networks for it.
- Build systems that will help us target the right kind of potential users out there in the world who haven't tried Uber yet. This involves working with datasets that are world population scale (billions of rows).
What You'll Need
- Architecture skills. Knowledge of data structures and an eye for architecture. You can discuss the tradeoff between architectural choices, both on a theoretical level and on an applied level.
- Excellent coding/debugging abilities. You have advanced knowledge of at least one programming language, and are happy to learn more. Our core languages are Python, Scala and Java.
- Big data experience. Experience with Distributed system such as Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Kafka, Vertica is preferred.
- Data pipeline understanding. Thorough understanding in SQL, Database. Experience in building data pipeline is nice to have.Love getting into the details with the data implementing custom ETLs to shape it into information.
- To be a fast learner. We're looking for software engineers who thrive on learning new technologies and don't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the needs of our massive growth and rapidly evolving business environment.
- A team player attitude. You believe that you can achieve more on a team - that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Design and business acumen. You understand requirements, whether you're working on an API used by other developers, an internal tool consumed by our operation teams, or a feature used by millions of customers, your attention to details leads to a delightful user experience.
About the Team
Uber is spending hundreds of millions of dollars on advertising, to attract and engage our customers - Riders and Drivers. We do this across channels ranging from TV ads and posters to digital advertising through mobile and web channels.
The Adtech team is building the technology capabilities to scale this advertising capability, using data to drive intelligent optimization and automation of the process. We work from the beginning of the loop: starting at budgeting and spend allocation across the world using models to the granular optimization of what content to show to whom and when.
The team is building the platform and infrastructure for marketing initiatives at Uber from the ground up. The team is currently building a Hadoop data platform for ingesting clicks, impression, spend and attribution data for Uber advertising from 170+ channels. We leverage best-in-class machine learning techniques to drive sign-ups and maximize the effectiveness of billion dollar advertising budgets. Join the team if you are interested in building the Uber's DMP(Data Management Platform), DSP(Demand Side Platform) and next-gen Marketing optimization engine.
Back to top