Sr Front-End Engineer- Distributed Systems UI
Observability is a group within Uber Infrastructure charged with measuring and monitoring every mission-critical service at Uber. Headquartered in New York and with additional teams in San Francisco and Lithuania, the Observability team develops a portfolio of measurement, tracing, and monitoring services aimed at providing maximum visibility into systems behavior to engineers across Uber.
About Jaeger Tracing:
Jaeger is Uber’s open-source Distributed Tracing system, designed to provide real time performance monitoring and profiling for distributed architectures. Inspired by Google’s Dapper and OpenZipkin, Jaeger is a complete redesign based on the new OpenTracing standard. Since its first deployment in production about a year ago over 600 microservices have been integrated with Jaeger, with many hundreds more to come.
The project is on track to be fully open sourced in Q1 2017 and check out our Distributed Tracing blog post: https://eng.uber.com/distributed-tracing/
Experience: 5+ years in software development
Education: BS or higher in computer science or software engineering (preferred) or other STEM discipline
The Observability Jaeger team seeks a seasoned front-end engineer capable of working effectively in a strong and senior team while driving the vision for usability and visualization of performance monitoring data. Position requires solid experience building user-friendly, open-source quality UIs.
Qualities we’re looking for:
- You can focus on customers and deliver features that excite them and improve their productivity
- You can identify emerging patterns and get ahead of the need for new user experience
- You love to excite users with new UI features that make their experience pure magic
- You easily break down requirements into architecture and deliver code, while keeping operational issues in mind
- You care about writing clear documentation so that other engineers can jump in and get stuff done
- You can work closely with the Tech Lead of the team, complementing the TL’s vision of architecture and functionality with a focus on data visualization
Skills we are looking for:
- Understanding of the full web technology stack, e.g. HTML, CSS, HTTP, cookies, headers, asset loading / caching
- Experience working with visualization frameworks such as D3
- Experience building awesome visualization tools
- Some knowledge of full stack infrastructure from front-end to backend would be ideal
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well in a team
This role requires some travel to San Francisco (Uber HQ) to participate in discussions with key stakeholders about requirements and needs.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top