Sr Data Warehouse Engineer - Data Engineering
Many companies are data driven, but being on the bleeding edge of the P2P Ride-Sharing / Logistics / Transportation industry, we literally partner with Data to pwn a whole new world of challenges. Every Uber employee is hands on with data 24 hours a day. Data is the center of our business— it drives the development of our world class service, highlights the effectiveness of incentives and promotions, measures the reach and effectiveness of localized marketing campaigns, and surfaces opportunities to improve how Uber operates. It is impossible to be at Uber and not feel the presence of Data.
Needless to say, as a member of Data Engineering at Uber, you will be at the epicenter of an amazing company experiencing extreme growth and solving the challenges that come with scaling rapidly. Accessibility of insight requires accessibility of data; quality of insight requires quality of data- and everyone deserves accessibility to quality data. As Uber is facing exponential growth, our data has followed the same “up-and-to-the-right” curve that is pervasive throughout the company. As a member of the Data Engineering team, you will be doing just that- shaping the data with which the company makes innumerable business decisions around the world.
As a Data Warehouse Engineer, your excellent communication skills will be put to work interacting with Product, Growth and Operations translating requirements into data definition and technical specifications as you architect, build and launch new data models. Your utter commitment to sustainability will shine through ETL jobs written in clean and simple manner and your manic obsession with data quality will ensure data pipelines are well tested and monitored. Your deep sense of ownership will drive you to evolve data models and data flows as the business continues to grow and bridge the gap between technology and analysis.
Qualifications and Required Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- A strong sense of teamwork
- A commitment to writing understandable, maintainable, and reusable software
- An innate desire to deliver
- SQL freak
- Totally cool with learning and working with new or unconventional technologies
- You know how to bring data in from internal and third party sources, and you take that reliability seriously.
- Love getting your hands dirty with the data implementing custom ETLs to shape it into information.
- You love efficiency and always have an itch to better tune your data pipelines to efficiently deliver accurate data
- Let’s get organized! Experience creating and evolving dimensional data models & schema designs to improve accessibility of data
- It’s a big book but familiarity of Kimball’s data warehouse lifecycle
Desired Skills (it would be great if you could check some of these boxes!)
- Hadoop Ecosystem of Tools (Spark, Hive, Pig, Oozie, Impala, MapReduce, etc)
- Shell Scripting (Python, Perl, Bash, etc.)
- MPP platforms (Vertica, Redshift, Teradata, Greenplum, etc.)
- ETL tools (Kettle, Informatica, etc.)
- Experience in Master data management
- Business intelligence tools (Tableau, Qlikview, Looker, etc)
- Database Performance concepts like indices, segmentation, projections, partitions
- Experience working with business partners and engineers to gather, understand and bridge definitions and requirements
- Troubleshooting query performance with Explain Plans and Query Profiles
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- Employees are showered with Uber credits each month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We’re bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top