Sr. Community Operations Manager - Tokyo (Customer Experience focus)
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
Senior / Community Operations Manager
At Uber, support is more than just answering questions. It's about using the information customers give us as insights to help Uber grow. Moreover, providing amazing support that establishes trust within our community—riders, driver partners, UberEATS customers and delivery partners—is at the centre of the Uber customer experience. We're obsessed about providing the highest quality service, in the smartest way. And for Uber to continue its growth and success, we need to be able to not only improve but also scale our fast-growing support operations.
We're looking for a (Senior) Community Operations Manager to build, operate, scale and improve Community Operations for Japan. Based in our Tokyo office, this role comes with a heavy focus on solving problems through data analytics and leading teams to deliver stellar outcomes and continuous process improvement, advocating passionately on behalf of our community to influence the overall customer experience, and managing senior stakeholder relationships across the larger business to set the right expectations and deliver handsomely on them.
WHO YOU ARE
- An problem solver. You embrace challenges, and would stop at nothing to create solutions—whether they're hacky, short-term workarounds, or more long-term process changes.
- A brilliant communicator. You're eloquent and able to strike the perfect tone, whether you're explaining a new policy to riders in writing, or explaining the recommendations of a data-driven study you conducted to global stakeholders through a video conference.
- A natural leader. You are passionate about leading and developing teams to perform at the highest levels while maintaining a fun and collaborative environment.
- Incredibly empathetic and understanding of both riders and driver partners alike. You will be a powerful advocate for Uber's customers and are obsessed with the community experience.
- Naturally curious. You love learning how things work and you're always looking for ways to innovate. You enjoy testing different support strategies and tracking the results.
- A lover of process and optimisation. You will be revolutionising support for the Uber community. You're excited about the opportunity to create and experiment with support processes, and are willing and able to lead others in iterating and executing them.
- Data-driven and analytical in mindset. You can look at any spreadsheet and know the right questions to ask to get to actionable outcomes, and you know how to explain data in a compelling way.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Be a passionate advocate for all members of Uber's community and listen attentively to their feedback so we can positively influence how we interact with them, and provide actionable insight to the rest of the company that directly impacts how Uber works.
- Deliver stellar operations outcomes according to agreed service levelagreements: working with partners across the globe to achieve the best outcomes across tens of thousands of support interactions every week, and ensuring they operate as efficiently as possible while maintaining the highest level of quality.
- Lead a team of Community Operations Managers and Associates, providing coaching and development to build a culture of high performance in a dynamic, high-growth, energizing environment.
- Pilot and own new initiatives that transform our support operations andimprove the level of service we provide: iterating existing support modalities and launching new ones as Uber continues to grow.
- Draw actionable recommendations that help drive our growth by divingdeep into the numbers and finding insight; steering a team to make data-driven decisions and process improvements.
- Engage strategically with stakeholders, be it mega-regional general managers and function leads to influence business goals and priorities, central global teams to improve internal tools and the overall user experience, or local teams to improve how we move Tokyo.
- Proven experience: whether it be in a start up, bank, consultancy, or corporate, you are someone who loves driving change in a fast-paced environment
- Bachelor's degree or MBA in business, economics, finance or any science-related fields
- People management experience with demonstrated ability to effectively lead and develop people to their highest levels of performance
- Experience with optimisation, processes, systematic organisation, program/project management; experience working in a support organisation or for organisations known for stellar customer support is a plus but not necessary
- Demonstrated Data/Analytics experience; Excel proficiency
- Extraordinary writing and verbal communication skills
- Native fluency in Japanese and Business English
- Sharp, motivated, hard-working co-workers in a fun office environment
- Employees are given Uber credits each month
- Ground floor opportunity with the team; help shape the strategic direction of Uber
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built
- We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top