Sr Communications Associate, Los Angeles
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 500 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the women and men who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About Communications at Uber
The most successful consumer technology companies are brilliant storytellers, who put their products—as well as the benefits of those products—front and center in every communication.
Our team is responsible for telling Uber's story to the media and third parties: whether it's transforming how we get around town and the lives of people who value independent, flexible work; or cutting congestion in cities by getting more backsides into fewer cars. That's partly about building positive relationships with the key news outlets and journalists in every country where we operate. It also about being creative in how we tell our story, including the use of social media, as well as working with the public policy team to develop campaigns that make the positive case for reform.
About this Role
We are looking for someone to lead Uber's communications efforts throughout the Los Angeles and the Southern California market. You will report directly to the Director of Public Affairs for the Western Region of the US. This role will involve:
- Building an effective, credible communications narrative demonstrating the regional impact of ride-sharing on congestion relief, flexible work opportunities, emission reduction and the future of transit.
- Establishing Uber's brand with the regional media and third parties.
- Work closely across Uber's Communications Teams including Product, Safety, Consumer and Corporate - to tell our story as a technology company.
- Develop and lead Uber's external communication to support our relationships and partnerships with local governments, third party groups, and business development partners.
What We're Looking For
To succeed you'll need to be:
- A self starter: Uber is a company of entrepreneurs and we want to work with people who enjoy building things from the bottom up too. Stuff changes fast in our world so you'll need to be highly adaptable as well as calm under stress;
- A great advocate: We're looking for people who can distill complex ideas into simple, but intellectually credible, arguments. You'll need to write well and have the creative ability to tell stories—about our product, people and the ways we're helping to improve life for passengers, drivers and cities.
- A strong campaigner: Smartphone apps are disruptive, and the interests being disrupted are deeply entrenched. We succeed by putting together effective campaigns with third parties on behalf of the passengers and drivers who use the app. That means you'll have a bias for action in everything you do—and a willingness to engage in debates, that can often become heated.
- A team player: Success at Uber depends on the ability to organize different teams (internally and externally) around shared goals. It's why we're looking for well organized people who enjoy working with others to get stuff done—and who can deal with the ambiguity that sometimes comes from working cross-functionally.
Ideally, you would have at least 5 years experience in communications. We are open to people with experience in another walk of life (e.g. government affairs, the media, marketing, political consulting and campaigns) with intellect, hustle and curiosity who want to work on an exciting and high-functioning team.
- Employees are given Uber credits each month
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top