Sr Backend Engineer, Robot Operations
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
A Backend Engineer is sought to make a huge impact in this newest venture. This is a rare opportunity to build "greenfield" products used by internal teams to operate the safest, most reliable, and efficient autonomous fleet.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll Do
- You will build software to automate and optimize how the fleet should be managed and utilized most productively.
- You will build real time management system that monitors fleet health, predict and anticipate problems and inefficiencies, and proactively resolve issues.
- You will build autonomous fleet platform services that serve other engineering teams.
What You'll Need
- Minimum 5 years of experience working with Go, Java, C++ or Python
- Solid understanding of relational & NoSQL databases with a keen eye for design and architecture at scale.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Past experience shipping large scale distributed systems
About the Team
At the Advanced Technologies Group (ATG), we are building technologies that will transform the way the world moves. Our teams in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Phoenix, and Toronto are dedicated to mapping, software and hardware development, vehicle safety, and operations for self-driving technology. Our teams are passionate about developing a self-driving system that will one day move people and things around more safely, efficiently, and cost effectively.
We are a fast growing team under ATG focusing on handling complex situations that arise when the cars and trucks are in autonomy. Our immediate goal is to bubble up issues that arise in real-time and find a way to tackle them, either in-person or through an over-the-air fix. We are also constantly brainstorming new ideas to improve the current operations and identifying new issues that happen under the hood. As for the future we are working towards predictive responders which include machine learning to detect issues and resolve issues before it happens (think Minority Report but for solving complex problems in real-time with autonomous cars and trucks). Does that sound interesting?
Back to top