Software Technical Writer - Autonomous Vehicle Maps
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
Technical Writer on AVMaps team, will prepare product manual, handoff artifacts and other supporting documents to communicate complex and technical information more easily. They also develop, gather and disseminate technical information among users, designers and engineers.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll Do
- In a typical day at the ATG, you'll meet with software engineers to learn the technical concepts behind the software they produce.
- Meet with the users of that software discover what their requirements and pain points are.
- Write clear, concise documentation to communicate everything the audience needs to know.
- Communicate highly technical information to an audience who is not familiar with the particular technical domain, or even to a non-technical audience.
- Documentation may also need to be translated into multiple other languages, so writing simplified English for translation will save you time later.
What You'll Need
- You'll be working directly with engineers, so you will need familiarity with software concepts and revision control will be helpful.
- You'll need to learn your subject matter quickly, and organize the information to keep developers in sync with each other. You don't need to be a coder, but the ability to read code and create examples and other API documentation will help you.
- Because you'll be working directly with people who are using the software, you should have some experience or coursework with audience analysis and writing for clarity.
- You must be able to figure out how to best present the technical information you have to your audience in a manner they can assimilate, and organize the documents you produce so that readers can find the information they need when they need it.
About the Team
The AVMaps team at Uber Advanced Technologies Group (ATG) is a passionate, close-knit group of interdisciplinary thinkers and doers who craft forward-thinking software that enables self-driving vehicles. We develop technologies at a fast pace while considering safety, legality and user experience. We identify map data and build solutions to deliver reliable and high quality maps for faster development of autonomous vehicles.
At Uber ATG, your work will make an impact in the world of transportation. On the AV Maps team, you will be able to jump into an autonomous car and know that its ability to navigate our complicated world, and do it smoothly, is because of you. On the team, you will experience lively debates about crafting the experiences of our map producers and, debate optimal algorithm design, and have enthusiastic conversations about solving hard math problems. You will work on a team of user experience designers, mathematicians, and back-end developers who are all working together to solve a common goal. You will never have a day where you don't learn something new. If this sounds exciting, we want to hear from you. We want to hear from someone smart, innovative, and ready to change the world while having fun.
Back to top