Software Engineering Manager - Communications Group
Engineering Manager – Communications
As a truly international business, Uber faces extraordinarily interesting challenges with communications technologies around the globe. Uber’s communications team focuses on systems for email, SMS, push notifications, in-app messaging, and other forms of communication between Uber and its users. We work on both the scalability/reliability of these systems as well as the products that orchestrate them to create compelling communications experiences for our end users.
We’re working on fun problems like:
- How to send hundreds of millions of emails a day with high deliverability
- How to ensure the mobile verification process is running reliably in every country around the world, while relying on inherently unreliable providers
- How to take the huge amount of communications data we have (clicks, opens, in-app interactions) to model our users’ behavior and make predictions about what communications they want and how they want them
- How to build simple yet powerful front ends for the global Uber team to understand our users and deliver the content they want when they actually want it
What we’re looking for:
- Technical skills – We’re hands-on managers. We write code each week. We go on call with our team. We participate in architectural discussions and decision making with our team. If you haven’t written code in 10 years, this job probably isn’t for you.
- Product mindset – While a huge portion of our work is reasoning around technical challenges, our managers need a good product sense. The communications we work on touch millions of users every day – we need to keep the experience beautiful and intuitive for them.
- Leadership – You’re more than just an organizer and architect; you’re a leader. You know how to set a vision and rally your team behind it. You know how to motivate your team towards key milestones.
- Multiplier – You grow your team. Both in number – you have great recruiting skills – and in capacity. You build relationships with your people. You provide critical feedback effectively and can mentor more junior engineers into strong leaders in the engineering community.
- Passion – You care about what you’re working on. Uber is more than a paycheck for you. You care about the product, you care about the millions of people who rely on Uber to make money, and you won’t accept low-quality solutions to critical problems.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month
- Delicious lunches
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment
- Unlimited vacation policy so you can work hard and take time when you need it
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Flexible work schedules
- Competitive salary
- Equity compensation plan
- Bonus plan
- Generous medical, dental and vision coverage to fit your needs
- Gym reimbursement
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top