Software Engineer, Vertica Site Reliability Engineering
Uber has become an integral part of people’s lives and it is critical that the systems that power the platform are always available to everybody in the world. Uber continues to expand into new cities and its growth and popularity present interesting challenges for managing the change in scale with the pace of innovation. We are looking for engineers that are able to apply the principles and discipline of robust distributed systems to solve operational challenges, while enhancing developer productivity and maintaining operational simplicity.
You will be part of a team of engineers in a fast paced data oriented environment working to build monitoring, management, tuning, and other infrastructure software around Vertica. This job is not about engineering systems for theoretical data in a lofty environment. This is business critical data, running 500,000+ queries a day to demanding business functions, from operations to experimentation to machine learning to reporting.
- Partner with fellow engineers to architect and build mission critical systems that can stand the test of scale and availability, while limiting operational overhead.
- Drive efficiencies and automation in systems and processes: capacity planning, configuration management, performance tuning, monitoring and root cause analysis.
- Participate in an oncall rotation and be available for escalations.
- Grit, drive and a strong feeling of ownership.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or a related technical discipline. Equivalent practical experience is acceptable.
- Programming skills in one or more of C, C++, Java, Python or Go, and an eagerness to pick up new ones.
- Experience working in a Linux environment.
- Vertica, PostgreSQL, Hadoop, or other database experience a plus but not required.
- Puppet experience is a plus
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- Uber credits every month.
- 401(k) plan.
- Full medical/dental/vision package.
- And more!
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top