Software Engineer - Vehicle Command
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
Vehicle Command Software Engineers at Uber ATG are responsible for providing production-reliable tools and systems which tell our vehicles where to go, when to go, and how to get there. They solve problems of routing and schedule optimization to help us launch new cities and move people and goods as efficiently as possible.
What You'll Do
If the intersection of graph theory, operations research and self driving vehicles is your jam, this role will give you the opportunity to:
- See your development of production-level executive and routing systems have immediate impact on our fleets of real autonomous vehicles driving in the world today.
- Get hands-on experience working with self-driving vehicles - interacting and shaping robotic technology!
- Develop innovative solutions for challenging problems with scalable, production quality software.
- Collaborate with an amazing team of highly skilled group of people all tackling challenges of autonomous vehicles
What You'll Need
- Strong background in graph theory, operations research or other approaches to vehicle routing: you delight in planning how vehicles should move throughout the world.
- Excellent software engineering skills: you are comfortable reading and developing production quality C++ software in a Linux environment.
- Excellent system design skills: you are able to keep broad cross-system issues in mind and and produce designs which not only meet your immediate needs, but also integrate cleanly with an entire software stack.
- Fast Learner: you thrive on learning new technologies and creating innovative solutions on a collaborative team.
- Team Player: you believe that you can achieve more on a team. You support and encourage your teammates to excel. You rely on others' feedback for continuous improvement.
- Self Starter: you have a desire to take initiative and provide leadership with composure. You enjoy getting into the details, resolving problems, building things, and drawing out the best in others. You are a motivator.
- Analytics: you have an ability to analyze test results to prove your solutions and build, use and configure automated reporting systems to ensure those systems' reliability.
Bonus Points If
- Proficiency with Machine Learning systems
- General Experience with Autonomy and Robotics
- Proficiency with Python
About the Team
At the Advanced Technologies Group (ATG), we are building technologies that will transform the way the world moves. Our teams in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Phoenix, and Toronto are dedicated to mapping, software and hardware development, vehicle safety, and operations for self-driving technology. Our teams are passionate about developing a self-driving system that will one day move people and things around more safely, efficiently, and cost effectively.
Back to top