Software Engineer - SRE (Lithuania)
Uber has become an integral part of people's lives and it is critical that the systems that power the platform are always available to everybody in the world. Uber continues to expand into new cities and its growth and popularity present interesting challenges for managing the change in scale with the pace of innovation. We are looking for engineers that are able to apply the principles and discipline of robust distributed systems to solve operational challenges, while enhancing developer productivity and maintaining operational simplicity.
Our systems are active across multiple physical data centers in the US, China and multiple cloud providers. We tackle the many challenges that come with Uber's massive scale.
You will be part of a team of engineers with a healthy mix of systems and software engineering skills, executing in a fast paced environment. If you love working on software products that touch the physical world and want some serious experience under exponential growth conditions, you should definitely join our awesome SRE team.
A Site Reliability Engineer is a Software Engineer with strong systems and operational skills in one or more functional domains, where the domain may range from Databases to Networking.
Most importantly, they have a passion in designing and maintaining highly reliable systems.
Empirically, strong engineers with this skillset and passion tend to be a rare and selective breed.
HERE ARE THE KINDS OF SKILLS WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
- Grit, drive and a strong feeling of ownership.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or a related technical discipline. Equivalent practical experience is a reasonable substitute.
- Good programming skills at least in one of Go, Java, C/C++, Python, .NET, PHP and an ability to pick up new ones.
- Expert level Linux knowledge and a good understanding of its fundamentals and internals: kernel, filesystems, modern memory management, threads and processes, the user/kernel-space divide, network stack, etc.
- A good understanding of large-scale distributed systems in practice, including multi-tier architectures, application security, monitoring and storage systems.
- Experience with AWS, GCP or Azure
- Configuration management knowledge: Puppet, Chef, etc.
- Good scripting skills of at least one of bash, perl, etc.
- Caching and queuing technologies knowledge
- Working knowledge of the TCP/IP stack, internet routing and load balancing.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- Ground floor opportunity with the team; shape the strategic direction of the company.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- Monthly gym reimbursement.
We're bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team. Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.Job Description..Perks..
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top