Software Engineer, Site Reliability Engineering (Palo Alto)
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
Uber has become an integral part of people's lives and it is critical that the systems that fuel the platform are always available to everybody in the world. Uber continues to expand into new cities and its growth and popularity present interesting opportunities for balancing the change in scale with the pace of innovation. We are looking for engineers that are able to apply the concepts and discipline of robust distributed systems to resolve operational challenges, while enhancing developer productivity and maintaining operational simplicity.
You will be part of a team of engineers with a healthy mix of systems and software engineering skills, executing in a constantly evolving work environment. This involves ensuring that software products that touch the physical world are always available and performant under exponential growth conditions.
What you'll do
- Partner with fellow engineers to architect and build mission critical systems that can stand the test of scale and availability, while limiting operational overhead.
- Drive efficiencies in systems and processes: capacity planning, configuration management, performance tuning, monitoring and root cause analysis.
- Participate in an on-call rotation and contribute to needed escalation missions.
What you'll need
- BS or MS in Computer Science or a related technical discipline. Equivalent practical experience is a reasonable substitute.
- Experience in the Linux environment and a good understanding of its fundamentals and internals: filesystems and modern memory management, threads and processes, the user/kernel-space divide, etc.
- Grit, self-motivation and a deep feeling of ownership.
- A good understanding of large-scale distributed systems in practice, including multi-tier architectures, application security, monitoring and storage systems.
- Working knowledge of the TCP/IP stack, internet routing and load balancing.
We're bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need your skills and passion to help make it happen!
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top