Software Engineer, Self-Driving
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it’s heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We’re making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we’re doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber’s positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
Uber ATC is the Pittsburgh R&D hub of Uber’s engineering team dedicated to self-driving technologies, mapping, and vehicle safety. This team is responsible for developing long-term technologies that advance Uber’s mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere. We are ambitious, engaged and excited about transforming the way the world moves. Our research will make the process of moving real assets and real people safer and more efficient now, and in the decades to come.
As a software engineer, you will be directly involved in the innovation of technologies at the forefront of Uber’s mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere. Our team is comprised of world-renowned researchers and engineers with decades of experience, whose efforts are focused on mapping, vehicle safety, and self-driving technologies.
What you’ll need
- Core Skills. We’re looking for outstanding, capable software developers with a range of skills. In particular, experience with Python, C++, Linux, and related technologies are a plus.
- Bonus Skills. If you happen to have skills in the following areas, we can use these as well: 3D graphics/OpenGL, embedded systems development, algorithm development, autonomous vehicle & general robotics, computer vision, classification & prediction, Amazon Web Services, distributed and large scale computing, game programming, metrics & data analysis, etc.
- Fast learner. We’re looking for software engineers who thrive on applying their knowledge, learning new technologies and don’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the rapid pace of a rapidly evolving research, development, and testing environment. You have advanced knowledge in software development (e.g. Python, C/C++) and knowledge of or eagerness to learn techniques in the fields of computer vision, machine learning, planning, control, and sensors.
- Boldness. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You thrive on proving that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
- Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of core engineering fields, you understand how all the pieces fit together into integrated systems, and how they impact performance.
- Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you’d never call code or design “released” until you’re satisfied it’s correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, excellent documentation, and proper test coverage.
- A team player orientation. You believe that you can achieve more on a team – that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others’ candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Design and business acumen. You understand how your technical contributions will impact the viability of future products. Whether you’re working on a software library used by other developers, a sensor to be retrofitted on a test vehicle, or a printed circuit to be mass produced, the other members of the team can depend on the quality of your work to rapidly advance our goals.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top