Software Engineer, Self-Driving
Uber ATC is the Pittsburgh R&D hub of Uber’s engineering team dedicated to self-driving technologies, mapping, and vehicle safety. This team is responsible for developing long-term technologies that advance Uber’s mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere. We are ambitious, engaged and excited about transforming the way the world moves. Our research will make the process of moving real assets and real people safer and more efficient now, and in the decades to come.
As a software engineer, you will be directly involved in the innovation of cutting edge technologies that advance Uber’s mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere. Our team is comprised of world-renowned researchers and engineers with decades of experience, whose efforts are focused on mapping, vehicle safety, and self-driving technologies.
Here are the kinds of skills we’re looking for:
- Core Skills. We’re looking for strong, capable software developers with a range of skills. In particular, experience with Python, C++, Linux, and related technologies are a plus.
- Bonus Skills. If you happen to have skills in the following areas, we can use these as well: 3D graphics/OpenGL, embedded systems development, algorithm development, autonomous vehicle & general robotics, computer vision, classification & prediction, Amazon Web Services, distributed and large scale computing, game programming, metrics & data analysis, etc.
- Fast learner. We’re looking for software engineers who thrive on applying their knowledge, learning new technologies and don’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the rapid pace of a rapidly evolving research, development, and testing environment. You have advanced knowledge in software development (e.g. Python, C/C++) and knowledge of or eagerness to learn techniques in the fields of computer vision, machine learning, planning, control, and sensors.
- Fearlessness. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You strive on proving that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
- Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of core engineering fields, you understand how all the pieces fit together into integrated systems, and how they impact performance.
- Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you’d never call code or design “released” until you’re confident it’s correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, strong documentation, and proper test coverage.
- A team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team — that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others’ candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Design and business acumen. You understand requirements beyond the written word and how your technical contributions will influence the viability of future products. Whether you’re working on a software library used by other developers, a sensor to be retrofitted on a test vehicle, or a printed circuit to be mass produced, the other members of the team can depend on the quality of your work to rapidly advance our goals.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, paid company holidays and Uber credits.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top