Software Engineer- Performance Optimization, Self-Driving
At the ATG, we are ambitious, engaged and excited about transforming the way the world moves. With locations in San Francisco and Pittsburgh, the Advanced Technologies Group is comprised of Uber's self-driving engineering team dedicated to self-driving technologies, mapping, and vehicle safety. Our bi-coastal teams are passionate about developing long-term technologies that advance Uber's mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere.
Our work doesn't end with transporting people. We are also developing self-driving truck technology to move goods more safely and cost effectively around the world. We are working to make the process of moving people and goods safer and more efficient.
The Software Performance Team strives to achieve the perfect harmony between software and hardware through efficient solutions to complex problems related to self driving, including perception, motion planning, and deep learning.
For this position, we are looking for people who:
- Are comfortable reading and developing production quality software with C++ and Python
- Enjoy improving the efficiency and performance of existing software
- Have an excellent understanding of optimization techniques to overcome CPU and GPU bottlenecks, with a focus on algorithmic & low level processor-specific optimizations
- Can write tools to assist developers with increasing functionality, reducing memory usage, and increasing overall system performance
- Ability to understand how software interacts with hardware at a low level
- Comfortable with making architectural changes to fully take advantage of hardware
- Have a thorough understanding of multi-threaded programming
- Have excellent communication skills especially with diverse groups of team members including software and hardware engineers, autonomy researchers, as well as managers and executives
- Enjoy working with Linux - be comfortable using Linux as your primary environment
- Have working experience with OpenGL and/or CUDA
- Knowledge of linear algebra and/or statistical analysis
HERE ARE THE KINDS OF SKILLS WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
- Fast learner. We're looking for team members who thrive on learning new technologies, who adapt easily, and who don't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions.
- Fearlessness. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You strive on proving that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
- Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of the whole software stack, you understand how all the pieces fit together.
- Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code "released" until you're confident it's correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, strong documentation, and proper test coverage.
- A team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team — that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Design and business acumen. You understand requirements beyond the written word and how your technical contributions will influence the viability of future products. Whether you're working on a software library used by other developers, a sensor to be retrofitted on a test vehicle, or a printed circuit to be mass produced, the other members of the team can depend on the quality of your work to rapidly advance our goals.
This position will be based in Pittsburgh, PA and will have occasional travel.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, ten paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top