Software Engineer- Performance and Capacity Engineering
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use every day. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale - energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world. Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
Uber is one of the fastest growing tech companies in history. Supporting this rapid business growth while developer add features creates a variety of reliability and efficiency challenges. We must ensure we have enough hardware to operate the business and our software is stable and performant.
The team achieves this through a combination of data analytics, forecasting, machine learning and performance optimization across the stack. Engineers on the team come from a variety of backgrounds including but not limited to: data engineering, infrastructure, low level performance tuning, application development and distributed systems.
We are looking for software engineers interested in Performance and Capacity Engineering to join the team and contribute in one or more of our areas of focus: capacity analytics, capacity forecasting, performance optimization, performance tooling, distributed tracing, benchmarking and predictive modeling.
Responsibilities will include:
- Work with engineers across Uber to understand their performance and capacity planning problems. Build platforms based on this work to ease solving these problems for other teams.
- Collect and use data to determine highest impact work to do.
- Contribute to ensuring Uber's SOA efficiently uses the hardware in our data centers.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- Experience with distributed systems, data pipelines and/or low level software optimizations.
- Systematic problem solving approach and knowledge of algorithms, data structures and complexity analysis.
- Ability to collaborate with other teams in the organization in a high EQ way to arrive at the best outcome for the company.
- Experience with reliability and performance SOAs.
- Experience with incorporating business forecasts into service.
- Experience with distributed tracing, cpu/memory profiling, forecasting and analytics.
- Experience with use of "big data" systems.
- Experience with Go, Java or lower level compiled languages.
- Employees receive generous Uber credits every month,
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally,
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, paid company holidays,
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs,
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top