Software Engineer - Mobile Platform and Tooling
Uber Engineering is growing quickly as we look to tackle some exciting opportunities at scale and in challenging regions around the world. As we grow our engineering team, we are finding that existing tooling and technologies available are not able to keep up with our growth. To continue our march towards ‘Making transportation as reliable as running water’, the mobile developer productivity team are looking to hire engineers passionate about tooling to ensure that our engineers can continue to deliver software consistently, reliably with confidence and minimal friction.
The mobile developer productivity team at Uber manages the overall experience engineers have and the tooling they use on a day to day basis. Their mission is to ‘Empower engineers to ship quality code, fast’ and are responsible for the overall continuous integration infrastructure and services as well as tooling used on the desktop. This means everything from IDEs used to the stability of the platform that provides fast feedback to engineers on their changes as well as the tooling that runs within the pipeline. This platform needs to be able to run tens of thousands of jobs a day and ensure engineers receive accurate and fast feedback on the quality of their changes.
To succeed in this role, you should be a polyglot software engineers with a passion for mobile, automation and quality. You will be passionate about knowing how things work, helping others and converting engineering needs into real world solutions which help Uber’s mobile engineers continue to work at Uber speed. We want you to help us build the tooling and infrastructure required to support thousands of engineers and deliver our mobile applications to millions of users around the globe. This role is not just about re-using what is already out there but also building the next generation of technology to fill the gaps.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Software Engineering
- Solid fundamentals in software engineering and concepts such as design patterns, testing, build systems and automation in the continuous delivery space
- At least 5 years of experience working in either mobile applications development with in-depth knowledge of the tooling, automation or building frameworks/libraries
- In-depth understanding and direct experience in mobile technologies and platforms (iOS and/or Android)
- Able to collaborate and communicate on a global scale with other teams to help determine gaps in our tooling and infrastructure and help drive solutions
A plus if you have:
- Experience in the Devops space
- Experience building integrations with software such as IDEs
- A lead role in pushing good engineering practices within engineering teams/organisations
- Experience in other automated testing strategies such as stress, load and performance testing.
What we offer
- Employees are given Uber rides every month.
- Opportunity to join a new office; shape the strategic direction of the engineering efforts in Amsterdam.
- Fun & informal office environment.
- Exceptionally sharp & motivated co-workers
- Free lunch everyday!
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top