Software Engineer - Marketplace Health (Marketplace Dynamics)
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
Uber's Marketplace is the network of drivers transporting people, pets, food and packages. It is responsible for fulfilling requests from riders while striving to enhance driver utilization and minimize the cost of transportation.
At Marketplace Dynamics, we're building and optimizing this logistics network of the future. It's a multi-dimensional optimization problem with the goal of keeping a healthy, efficient and reliable marketplace. This is where the Marketplace health team comes in to help define, understand and measure what a healthy marketplace of riders, drivers and trips/food/packages looks like. We develop complex diagnostic, dynamic control, anomaly alerting, and geo-temporal visualization technology to identify opportunities for improving marketplace health in every neighborhood, in real time.
If creating large, scalable backend systems for answering questions that impact almost every aspect of the Uber business is what excites you, come talk to us!
What you'll be doing
- Working together with high caliber engineers, data scientists, data visualization engineers and product leads at the forefront of a transformative and innovative business. To excel in this role, you should be able to adapt to problems quickly and be comfortable communicating, collaborating and executing with little oversight.
- Create systems that answer interesting higher order questions in real time about health, reliability and efficiency of a marketplace
- You will help not only to identify anomalies and trends with the systems that you have built, but also to explore the opportunities for improvement of the marketplace health and to automatically suggest the recommended actions.
- You will be collaborating with engineers from multiple core teams within Marketplace Dynamics and city ops across the world to help tune this very complex system to run at its global optimum for the best experience for our riders and driver partners.
What we're looking for
- At least 5 years of successfully shipped scalable backend software experience.
- Passion for getting things done with a focus on shipping online production systems. Roadblocks don't get in your way - they get you excited for the challenge.
- Deep production experience with large-scale data and storage platforms.
- You love coding, debugging, data and taking on hard problems.
- Drive to learn new things and go above and beyond what is required.
- Excellent communication skills and a collaborative approach to problem-solving. Always working to improve yourself and constructively support the team around you.
- Excellent attention to details.
We're bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need your skills and passion to help make it happen!
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top