Software Engineer - Marketplace Health (Marketplace Dynamics)
Uber’s Marketplace is the network of drivers transporting people, pets, food and packages. It is responsible for fulfilling requests from riders while striving to maximize driver utilization and minimize the cost of transportation.
At Marketplace Dynamics, we’re building and optimizing this logistics network of the future. It’s a multi-dimensional optimization problem with the goal of keeping a healthy, efficient and reliable marketplace. This is where the Marketplace health team comes in to help define, understand and measure what a healthy marketplace of riders, drivers and trips/food/packages looks like. We build complex diagnostic, dynamic control, anomaly alerting, and geo-temporal visualization technology to identify opportunities for improving marketplace health in every neighborhood, in real time.
If building large, scalable backend systems for answering questions that impact almost every aspect of the Uber business is what excites you, come talk to us!
What you’ll be doing:
- Working alongside high caliber engineers, data scientists, data visualization engineers and product leads at the bleeding edge of a disruptive and innovative business. To be successful in this role, you should be able to adapt to problems quickly and be comfortable communicating, collaborating and executing with little oversight.
- Build systems that answer interesting higher order questions in real time about health, reliability and efficiency of a marketplace
- You will help not only to identify anomalies and trends with the systems that you have built, but also to explore the opportunities for improvement of the marketplace health and to automatically suggest the recommended actions.
- You will be collaborating with engineers from multiple core teams within Marketplace Dynamics and city ops across the world to help tune this very complex system to run at its global optimum for the best experience for our riders and driver partners.
What we’re looking for:
- 5+ years of strong track record of successfully shipped scalable backend software.
- Fierceness to get things done with a focus on shipping online production systems. Roadblocks don’t get in your way – they get you excited for the challenge.
- Have deep production experience with large-scale data and storage platforms.
- You love coding, debugging and attacking hard problems, plus you live and breathe data.
- Drive to always learn new things and go above and beyond the call of duty.
- Strong communication skills and a collaborative approach to problem-solving. Always working to improve yourself and constructively support the team around you.
- Have excellent attention to details.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We’re bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top