Software Engineer - Maps Data Store
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 500 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
What you'll do:
Uber Advanced Technologies, Map Data Store team is dedicated to developing a scalable, geo-replicated database environment that can store and keep track of billions of objects and serve them up to thousands of people and processes via simple and fast web services. We are looking for a highly skilled Senior Software Engineer to help create this data platform that will be the backbone for storing and serving map data inside Uber.
What we're looking for:
- A fast learner. We're looking for team members who thrive on applying their knowledge, learning new technologies and don't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the rapid pace of a rapidly evolving research, development, and testing environment.
- Boldness. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You strive on proving that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
- Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of core engineering fields, you understand how all the pieces fit together into integrated systems, and how they impact performance.
- Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code or design "released" until you're satisfied it's correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, thorough documentation, and proper test coverage.
- A team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team - that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Design and business acumen. You understand the bigger picture of how your technical contributions will impact the viability of future products. Whether you're working on a software library used by other developers, building a new datacenter abstraction layer, or sensor to be retrofitted on a test vehicle, the other members of the team can depend on the quality of your work to rapidly advance our goals.
What you'll need:
- A deep engineering background with superb computer science fundamentals
- Demonstrated, hands-on experience with distributed databases (e.g. Hbase, Cassandra, Bigtable)
- Deep curiosity to explore new ideas and passion to make them happen
- Demonstrated self-starter, willing to take chances and make smart bold bets, show great resourcefulness and speed, all while keeping a positive, winning attitude
- Steadfast focused execution, great communication skills, and amazing follow-through
- Experience with cloud platforms (e.g. AWS, Azure) and service oriented architecture and know how to build large-scale, performant systems
- Experience in distributed computing in a Linux environment
- Experience in making cross-functional team relationship work well
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top