Software Engineer - Location Search Engine
Are you excited by the idea of using bits to move atoms? Are you excited to directly impact logistics and transportation in hundreds of cities? If you have answered yes to any of these questions, you might be a great fit for this team at Uber.
Our org is focused on solving incredibly difficult challenges for our mapping and location platform at Uber. You will be working with some of the world’s best experts, programmers, innovators, and scientists on a very user-facing product.
This Search Engine Team is focused on building the next generation geospatial search technology for Uber. This involves all aspects of geospatial search for Uber including location autocomplete, full text search, reverse geocoding, semantic localization, personalization and predictions. We are a very small team of world class engineers responsible for the entire stack for determining the origin and destination of all trips worldwide. We ship every week and are always running user facing experiments.
HERE ARE THE KINDS OF SKILLS WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- Architecture chops. You should have opinions on constructing software systems and good knowledge of the principles of scalability, fault-tolerance, reliability and durability.
- Experience designing and deploying high performance production services with robust monitoring and logging practices.
- Experience with large data processing pipelines, distributed data stores, map reduce, and distributed file systems.
- Strong programming, data structure and algorithmic skills (we mainly use Java & Python).
- Experience with search engine technology is prefered. Search ranking, infrastructure, indexing, and Lucene and other similar technologies.
- Database experience a plus – especially Cassandra.
- Bonus points if you have worked with geospatial data or built geospatial services.
- Bonus points for hands-on experience with Machine Learning.
- BS in computer science or equivalent.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- Ground floor opportunity with the team; shape the strategic direction of the company.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We are moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- We value personal growth and team camaraderie. We have regular learning groups, ice cream outings, and scavenger hunts.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We’re bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top